Huge Hard Drive problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm having a huge problem. My computer was running fine the other night. I put it into Standby (WinXP), and ten minutes later tried to turn it on again - but nothing. My speakers just kept saying 'system fail CPU test'. Couldn't even get anything on the screen.

I brought my master HD in to work and tried to boot up a work computer with it in slave mode. The BIOS recognised it, but then it would go to 'do you want to start windows in safe mode, ...', and would freeze after choosing any of the options.

It's an 80G Western Digital WD800 Caviar. Is it toast? Anything I can do to save it? I need the files on it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rewey

You cannot boot a Windows installation from one computer in another unless the hardware is fairly similar. You should attach your precious drive as the slave in the work computer.

As for your home computer, if the CPU test fails then it certainly isn't a hard drive problem, is it?
Try unplugging the computer from the mains or clearing the CMOS memory in case it was a power management glitch.

I have run the precious drive as a slave on the work computer - that's when it hangs after asking if I want to run in safe mode. On the home computer, I can't get anything, not even the screen turning on. Can't get to the BIOS setup or anything. It's frustrating!

Rewey

The last time I got a 'CPU fail system test' message was when I installed a dud modem, so I don't know if it actually tests the 'CPU'. That's why I figured it was a device like the HD. When I take out the HD's, I can get to the BIOS setup, but then have nothing to boot from. As soon as I plug in the HD's again, there's nothing on the screen as per usual...

Rewey

OK - newest update...

I got the hard drive working on a computer at work, so it appears it may not be toast after all.

I know nothing about CMOS stuff. I have an Asus Mboard, but not sure which model until I get home and check. Is there anything other than CMOS that might be going wrong?

Rewey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back