Huge Monitor Issue

Hello TechSpot, I have a huge issue that I need help with. After spending a pretty big amount of money in an attempt to fix this with no results, I have no choice but to turn to someone for support.

So here's the problem: Back in February I bought an HP 22CWA 1080p monitor, and it worked very well. I had my computer connected via HDMI (GTX 970 at the time, upgraded to a GTX 1080 and it still worked) and it worked well up until around September. I decided to reorganize my office space so I very carefully moved all of the parts off of my desk, transferred the desk to the opposite side of the room, and reassembled the setup. Here's where I had the issues. I reconnected the PC to the HDMI port and tried to power it on and the monitor immediately went into sleep mode, but the display was on showing the message. I tried a few more HDMI cables that I have around and had absolutely no luck, and the same deal with the VGA cable. I figured I had just somehow busted it during the move, but it's a fantastic monitor for the price so I decided just to go ahead and buy another one assuming I was at fault. I've had this monitor only for a few months now and the same issue just came up. This time it happened after I unplugged the HDMI cable on the PC side while everything was turned on; not sure if that has anything to do with it. Yet again I tested it with multiple cables and this time multiple devices as well.

I decided to just go ahead and buy another monitor, this time opting not to go for the same model. I went with an Asus VS228H 1080p monitor. It arrived yesterday and, just to be sure, I bought it with 6 new HDMI cables. Now here's the fun part: My PS4, laptop, and Wii U all refuse to work over HDMI. Unfortunately the PS4 has never been set up as it is brand new, but with both the Wii U and Laptop having displays to change the settings, I figured I could mess around with them a bit to hopefully get them working, but with no luck. I'm doubting my PC would work, but for some reason it's actually displaying DVI.

After feeling like I have wasted about $300 between these monitors I'm out of ideas. Nothing is working at all and I'm desperate. My only though would be to buy an HDMI -> DVI converter, but I'd rather not spend even more money trying to address this issue if it's not necessary.

Amazon Links:
- HP 22CWA: goo.gl/mYrr9h
- Asus VS228H: goo.gl/2M8B7u
- HDMI Cables: goo.gl/NbcrxF (Also tried with the new HDMI cable that came with the PS4)

I’ve occasionally hot-swapped HDMI cables and like you I recently had a scare. In my case it was with a large screen TV with only two HDMI ports. I bought an HDMI splitter which gave three HDMI connections when plugged into one of the two TV HDMI sockets. I had trouble deciding how best to connect things up and did a bit of hot-swapping. One of the TV’s HDMI ports stopped working. After frantic rearrangements with the cables and no result I closed everything down and turned them off at the mains switch. When I returned to the task a couple of hours later the HDMI ports were working again. I completed the job, but this time it took much longer because I didn’t hot-swap any cables. If this doesn’t work for you the HDMI circuitry or a connector may be damaged.

Back