Hung CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know any reason why my CPU gets hung at low a low speed. The PC just intermitantly dies and goes to the bios screen where it says the CPU has hung.
I have an asus P4S800 and a Intel P4 2.8Ghz

It's got me fire trucked, but i don't really have a clue about these things.

Sounds weird, never heard of that before.

I guess you bought the machine complete and didn't build it yourself. The first thing that springs to mind is the power supply unit (psu). Those p4 chips are particularly hungry and if you have lots of other components in your pc it could be underpowered. i would recommend at least a 350w power supply. it should tell you on the side of the psu what power it is, you might have to take the side off to see it.

Every P4 unit i have built has a supplemtry power lead for the motherboaard coming from the psu. it is a square 4 pin plug which usually plugs in up near the processer. make sure that is plugged in or if there is not a lead check to see if there is a four pin socket on the board, if there is then you will need a psu suitable for a P4.

If you have no joy post back with some more details, full system spec and exact messages you see on the screen and i will try and help further.

good luck :)

Boorune ;
What exactly is happening or what applications are running when this happens.Can you describe and make note of the Error messages you are seeing.What do you mean by Low speed?
I have never heard of a computer stopping from the GUI and going direct to the Bios screen.
Also It would help if you filled out your Hardware and OS profile .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back