Hyperterminal newbie question: What to type for abort sequence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all,

I'm a newbie to networking and stuff. I'm using hyperterminal as terminal emulator both for console and telnet.

Several labs required me to traceroute addresses and if the destination is unrechable I have to press escape sequence to abort otherwise wait for 30 hop counts. I'm using ANSI setting.

Does anyone knows what the key combination for escape sequence in hyperterminal?

use case:
Test#tracerou 172.16.9.1

Type escape sequence to abort.
Tracing the route to 172.16.9.1

1 192.168.0.1 4 msec 0 msec 0 msec
2 8.9.2.1 12 msec * 12 msec
3 21.24.32.17 12 msec * 12 msec
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
30 * * *

Thanks in advance!

Hi Realblackstuff!

Thanks for the reply, I've tried it (+++ and enter), but it doesn't work, are there any other methods?

+++ is an escape sequence used to drop the modem out of DATA mode and into Command mode, used to control and test the modem.
Its not part of the HyperTerminal ANSI Emulation protocol.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ndz/protocol/hyperterminal_ansi_emulation.asp

When in Terminal modem the ESC key issues the escape character (0x1B). An "escape sequence" is the <ESC> (0x1B) key and a <STRING> (Control Characters)
There are many standard "escape sequence" to control the screen when in Terminal Mode. The exact Control Characters needed to terminate the test may need to be supplied by the remote system. But;
Have you tried hitting the ECS key alone to stop the test.
"Type escape sequence to abort". suggests Control Characters ae also needed but you never know.

Hi Triton!
Thanks, I have tried Ctrl-Break, ESC key alone, +++ and enter, even I try to press all the key on my keyboard one by one :) it does not work.
I have read MSDN resources as well but hardly point out which key combination is used as 'abort sequence'
Do you have other ideas maybe?

Anyways, these are the parameters for the emulation
function, arrow and ctrl keys act as: terminal keys
backspace key sends: Ctrl-H
Emulation: ANSI
ASCII setup (default hyperterminal)

I looked up how to stop a trace route for most versions of Traceroute (Tracert).
A Break signal (Ctrl- Break / Ctrl-C) stops a Traceroute (Tracert) running on local machine from MSDOS prompt or Command Line.

A Break signal stops the trace in the program but;
Most terminal programs don't support sending a Break signal as many routers and servers use it for special tasks and many routers won't pass a Break signal by default.
There are terminal programs that support Break signals, HyperTerminal Private Edition is one of them according to Hilgraeve.
http://www.hilgraeve.com/KB/KnowledgeBase/index_html?topic=HT/HTPE&article=87739
You may not get the results you want depending on your setup. You will just need to give it a try.

If you're still using Hyperterminal (that came with Windows XP), set it for VT100 emulation before initiating the call and then try CTRL<BREAK>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back