I accidently deleted Dell's Recovery Partition. How to get it back?

By Tru_Snoop
Jun 24, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys;

As you may have guessed from the title, I have Dell Inpiron 6000. It had Windows XP Home installed, and was equiped with "Restore System" (by pressing Ctrl + F11, you could restore your system). No CD included. I was trying to install Linux OS, It was Fedora Core 5.0. I asked linux OS to resize the partition automatically. It installed without any problem, but then I couldn't access to my windows XP. Everytime I try to access, some "Hardware Diagonsis" program showed up. So no matter I did, I couldn't access windows XP. I tried to press "Ctrl + F11" at the Dell screen, but it didn't work. I tried several times, but didn't work. So I finally gave up and reformattd the drive and installed Windows XP Pro, Operating system. I installed all the Dell driver after that. However, as I said I think I accidently deleted Dell's Recovery partition.

Is there any way to get that back? I would like to get my original Windows OS back.

Any help would be apriciated. Thank you so much.
  2. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 Newcomer, in training Posts: 546

well first of all y did u do a "full install" of linux if you liked windowsXP so much? most linux CDs will boot right from the CD. first of all, are u 100% sure that the drive is actually gone or if jut not showing up? b/c it could still be there. 2nd call Dell and ask them how to do it. this is the #1 tip that i give people, and u'd b surprised how many times people solve their problem,

Call Dell and then give us more feedback based on what they tell u to do
  3. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy Newcomer, in training Posts: 269

Dell is about as useful as male nipples.
  4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

if install from disc why want the recovery partition??
    you don't need it with the install cd in your hands
  5. blue_dragon

blue_dragon Newcomer, in training Posts: 278

if you have the patience..call dell and ask them for a recovery cd..theyll probably charge you..i know hp does this but I have never tried it :)
  6. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

Most likely Dell will have you send your computer in. You'll get it back a couple weeks to a month later exactly the same as you first got it. I would just keep it as it is. Those recovery partitions are just drivers for your exact model computer and such from what i remember.
  7. AMDIsTheBest010

AMDIsTheBest010 Newcomer, in training Posts: 546

Not if your computer is under warranty, my Inspiron E1505 was still under warranty and i misplaced the Windows XP Media Center 2005 Disc and i call dell, and they sent one for free in about 4 days

ps. they were actually very helpful for once
  8. Tru_Snoop

Tru_Snoop Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 23

Hey guys;

Thank you so much for your help and information. I finally called Dell. They were really helpful. The person I spoke to will be sending all the required CDs in the mail.

I didn't even have to beg for it. Lol.

Thanks guys.
    cheers
  9. WinDoWsMoNoPoLy

Well then, if they have rehab for giving ****ty customer support, Dell must have went to it.
  10. Xeek

Xeek Newcomer, in training

OMFG THAT'S SO FUNNY I THINK AOL SHOULD GO TO ****TY CUSTOMER SUPPORT REHAB ALSO!!! HAHAHA
  11. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,492

Actually, I have always had good experiences with them. But of course my 2400 WAS still under warranty...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.