I am a new user to McAfee and have a bug already...help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrenter

I have just very recently installed the complete list of McAfee products after using Norton for a long, long time. After I believe, deleting every trace of Symantec, Norton, ccapp etc. from my registry/PC and optimizing my registry with Registry Mechanic I was looking for a fresh start. However I don't really know if I am really better off. My problem is as follows...

Every time I try and open McAfee Quickclean or the summary page for the first time I get the following,"McAfee Quickclean Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close." etc When I look for more information on the error I get," AppName: uni.exe, AppVer: 6.1.3.0, ModName:ntdll.dll, ModVer 5.1.2600.2180, Offset: 00001010.

I have no idea about debugging. Has anyone had this experience or can help? I do want to give McAfee an honest try and don't want to give up just yet. Thanks in advance.

Uninstall/Reinstall

I would try to uninstall, run a registry cleaner, and reinstall in "Selected startup mode". You need to run Start->Run->MSCONFIG->Click the Startup tab->Click Disable All->Click OK->Then reboot.

Once you've rebooted, try to reinstall using the installer CD, and don't forget to enable your startup items again, and reboot one last time.

C0d3Warr10r

Thanks RealBlackStuff for recommendations. I do now see that McAfee is very similar to Norton in that it's a bloated program. I have noticed it does in fact use up more memory and makes my start up quite slower that without it.
I do like it's neat interface however and I do think that the McAfee Security Suite is more up to date and it's features more effective than Norton Systemworks and Norton Firewall, which I used previously. I am still willing to give it a good though.
So my question still is do you know what the error I was talking about, means? it's just that if I can get Quickclean to start up properly. Then I can see how useful it is and go on to evaluate some other alternatives if needs be.

Thanks for your help C0d3Warr10r. I understand you when you say uninstall, and clean up the registry. I suppose I only need to uninstall McAfee Quickclean then and not the whole package? A couple of other things though...Once I've disabled all and it's then Selected Startup Mode and rebooted, great! However, I don't actually have an installer CD as I got the program in an image file if you catch my drift, so I mounted it with Alcohol when installing. Surely disabling startup processes would cause problems ? Do I enable startup items AFTER reinstalling then, and reboot a last time? Lastly is your help reflecting the fact that I have a bug when starting Quickclean? How will it actually sort out the problem, have you had the same problem then? Thanks.

1st.
its no big deal that you dont have the installer CD, i was just assuming that you purchase the retail product. using the setup you downloaded should be fine. no need to use alcohol120.

2nd.
temporarily disabling your startup items will generally not cause problems. However, to regain full functionality of some of your programs, its likely that you will need to re-enable those items in startup. Once you've re-enabled those items, you will need to reboot your computer.

Sorry if i wasn't terribly clear in the last post. hope this helps.

C0d3Warr10r

Thanks again C0d3Warr10r for your help. I will definately give this a try. However, I'm still not sure on just a couple of things. When you say that I will to renable some items on startup, that's great but I thought there were critical Windows startup processes that I should never stop. I can see a couple of processes I'm not sure about. eg. RunDLL, Soundman.exe, PS2.exe (a keyboard driver process?), ctfmon.exe, kbd.exe etc. Are these programs fine to disable on startup, or would they cause system instability, even temporarily?

1: RunDLL is a windows process that should probably be running under normal circumstances, but is safe to turn off temporarily.

2: Soundman.exe is installed by your sound card's software merely to place an icon in the system tray and quick access to diagnostic features. It is safe to turn off permanently if you don't use the icon in your system tray.

3: PS2.exe is an application that provides configuration options for additional keys on HP Multimedia keyboards. It is safe to turn off temporarily.

4: ctfmon.exe is a component of the Microsoft Office suite. It is safe to turn off temporarily.

5: kbd.exe is a process from Logitech that allows you to configure additional keys on your multimedia keyboard. It is safe to turn off temporarily.

Additionally, if there are other files you are unsure about before disabling, you can always go to http://www.processlibrary.com to see what program it might affect. I hope this provides all information you need to fix this problem...

C0d3Warr10r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back