TechSpot

I am setting up a wireless home network and need advice please.

By haden9
Jun 18, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am trying to set up a home wireless network consisting of 3 home computers. This is the first time I am gonna do something like this, so what am asking is for advice on the devices I should get (which router, pci wireless card, ect). Can someone help me out please, am checking for quality and also good pricing. Thank you :approve:
  2. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 Newcomer, in training Posts: 574

Where abouts r u?
    Australia? If so ... cworld.com.au (very good prices)

You really only need a router & some cabling, or for ur wireless u need cards for each (obviously!)

even on E-bay they have good rpices on routers ... but get a good 1!
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

In general you will want a brand name router like Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, SMC etc.. Stay away from El Cheapo (TM) stuff like Zyxel, Benq, Canyon etc. In an ideal world you will also get the wireless adapters from the same maker.

If you are not sure which ones are a good buy then narrow down your choices to a couple of models and ask here.
  4. haden9

haden9 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 16

Thx guys for the reply, I was checking for the brands you sugested Nodsu, and the one I chose was D-Link. Now another question came up while searching, what would be the diference between a wireless router and an access point and which should i choose?
    Thx for the reply guys :approve:
  5. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

A wireless router will let you share your internet connection between several computers because of its router functionality. A wireless access point just extends your wired network.

If you already have a router sharing your internet connection then you can save some money and keep things simple by getting an access point. Otherwise it is the router you want.
  6. haden9

haden9 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 16

OK thanks again Nodsu, as a matter of fact I don't have a router so I guess I'll definetly get one. Thnx again man :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.