I busted my mates comp oh dear, Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I busted my mates comp oh dear, Please Help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:eek:
I was wondering if you may have a solution to my problem.
I was installing a new upgrade in Ram for a mate and accidentedly put in the wrong ram instead of the correct one I had at the time silly me.
Now I have power and all LED lights and everything lights up and all fans work but I have a idle red led light and no boot and my monitor is now black, also I have no beep sound but otherwise all seems as if functioning correctly.
Please help to a solution as I feel I may have shorted the CPU or the Motherboard

P.o.s.t....u.h...o.h

If you can't get the computer to POST (power on self test, failing post is what you're describing) by returning the original ram to it's socket, then you may have indeed broken something major. All you can do for the moment is check and make sure the old memory module is fully seated in it's original slot with the end clips up and engaged. Did you wear an anti static strap?

Hi there thank you so much for your reply yes I did wear a anti static strap at the time. I have reinserted the original 256mb ram but it still seems to do the same do you have a solution that I may be able to try next as everything seems to want to go but won't boohoo for me I feel really bad never had this prob before.

you got some 'splainin' to do....

If you've checked for possible other connectors, plugs and what not you may have knocked off or loose during "surgery", then I got nothin'. Well, replace the motherboard &/or processor. In a situation of this severity I would wait for a second opinion. Hopefully, another member may know more than I do. I do know that improperly installed cards will cause shorts, and connect wrong circuits together and that that will damage other components. A moderator may be along to scold you for not reading the "Installing RAM" guide on this forum.

thanks and yes silly me need big scolding

:unch: myself lol.
I have checked all connectors and no they are all in correct places and attached well.
Do you suggest replacing the CPU and if so what would be the best suggestion as he currently has a 2.0ghz celeron and I was thinking to bringing it up to a 2.8ghz.
He has a Asus P4500-MX motherboard so most recommended CPU please.

Reset the cmos. If its still broke after that you aren't going to fix it with a new cpu.

What happened here? RAM physically won't fit if its the wrong type because the slots don't line up, and I know I always look at the RAM and where the RAM fits in to make sure I don't have it upside down. How did you not notice they were in different positions? Did you continue to force it down after it wasn't fitting? If so did the board make any snapping noises? If it didn't I'm skeptical that you broke anything, boards can take a lot of flex normally. Check that the video card didn't become unseated while you were pushing down (esp likely to happen if you have the vid card screwed in).

It is possible to force SDRAM into a DDR slot,if you have the

fixity of purpose - which you did :unch:

The most common result, from what I`ve read, is a burning smell

and a fried memory controller.Are there any signs of burning/scorching ?

Hi there no there wasn't any burning or scolding smell etc.
What I actually did was I had a whole heap of ram sticks in a bag until I ascertained on whether it was ddr or sdr by removing the original 256mb stick once ascertained it was a ddr I had a 512ddr ram with me but I grabbed the wrong one out from the bag by mistake, now I have a problem as it is a friends comp and I feel I have to either replace the whole motherboard or CPU any advice please?.

Well you really can't fry the CPU by screwing up the RAM. So replacing that would be a waste of money. My recommendation is to find some known working RAM of the right type, and then COMPLETELY rebuild the system. Perhaps even try a different power supply since those are often involved in no POST issues.

I see 1 of 3 possibilities here (perhaps there are more) in order of probability: 1. You fried the motherboard, despite not hearing/seeing/smelling anything. 2. You unseated something in fumbling around in there and it may be worth it to remove everything and start over. 3. Somehow the power supply broke during this fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back