I can see lights, fans are running, but screen is black

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,new here,I really hope someone around here can help me...

I have an HP Desktop that is about 3 years old, it has an AMD Athlon Processor, Windows Vista, 2GB Hard Drive and a very old Nvidia 6150 Card...

a couple of months ago the computer stopped working properly, it would turn on, but it would freeze or sometimes, it wouldn't start....I took it to a tech guy who had it for about a month and he couldn't find what the real problem was! then when I had lost all faith, I went into the HP website and saw that my pc's model had an alert from HP, in it it said that some of those models had a bad motherboard and that they would extend warranty and replace the motherboard for free...

I contacted them and they sent DHL to pick up my computer and I got it back 2 weeks later and it had been working great until today!

this is a family computer, but hasn't been used as much lately because now most family members have laptops, still it's used for about 5 hours a day...this morning someone turned it on for about an hour and then turned it off without a problem...3 hours later someone turns it on and this is what happens:

1. Computer makes noise, no beeps, only normal computer starting up noise.
2. The light that checks the cd drive turns on.
3. The fans are running.
4. Power button is on, but when I turn on the monitor it says "no signal" and it goes to sleep.

I turned it off, the computer and the little box it is connected to, forgot the name...and waited a while, then turned on the box...power regulator thing or whatever...and the computer instantly started running, but the same happened....it can stay like that for hours...

I have some computer knowledge, when it comes to what to do when the computer is turned on, but I know nothing about hardware...

I really hope someone can help or give me some advice...

hi, thanks for your reply, I already did the first step in the guide, which is to remove power cord and press the power button for 30 seconds and then connect and turn on again...it's still the same though..

so I am in the next step, reset CMOS, I just don't understand how I have to do that, I don't have a manual for the motherboard, and to reset CMOS I would have to open the CPU??

any help on this subject would be appreciated

I covered that in the Guide:
Hardware issues

Firstly it's always best to download your computer, or motherboard, manual
You can locate your manual, by going to you manufacturer's support page
For convenience (and as an example) Here is Dell's and HP's support info
Just click on the word HP

After going to the HP Drivers help topic, you will see:
Click HERE to type in your Model Number. Click HERE to help find your Model Number
(Note: Desktop owners can press CTRL + ALT + S in Windows to view this information)
Just click HERE and go to HP site to find all your computer's downloads, including your Manual ;)

i had a similar problem to yours with my hp pavilion. what i did was, i opened the tower and removed everything in the tower(power supply,floppy,hard drive,etc.) and put them back together. i tried turning it back on then tada! it worked.

I had this problem too :(
I've done the CMOS thingy and switching RAM etc. still no luck :(
I went to a PC repair shop and they told me the motherboard is broken..
So now am sending it back to the manufacturer.

Might consider opening it up, removing the graphics card (the thing your monitor plugs into) and putting it back in. With the power off of course.

If your monitor plugs directly into the motherboard, disregard the above sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back