I cannot access my task manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

afreund0317

I've been doing some reading and I've already disabled windows restore and I ran a hijackthis scan but I'm not sure where to go now. Please help me. My computer is running so slow and I'm going crazy.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of afreund0317 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Yes, let your antivirus scanner completely finish, then post a HJT log as per the instructions.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of afreund0317 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Here is my HT file

***oops this is it before my antivirus is done****

I'll post a new one once it updates.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    10.8 KB · Views: 5
You`re using an outdated version of HijackThis.

Your system is absolutely riddled with malware. I think your best option would be to reformat and reinstall from scratch.

However, if you want to have a go at cleaning your system, please do the following. Bear in mind, that I can`t guarantee 100% that your system will be ok after cleaning.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Oh no... so pretty much I'm SOL... I'm not completely computer literate. I only know some things and I loose my patience easily especially with my system running slower than snails. I guess I'll just buy a new computer. Should I still be able to save the files I have on here such as photos etc.

Hi,

You do not need to buy a new system; you only need to do a reformat of the system to wipe out everything before doing a clean install of windows again.

I wouldn't suggest saving much files (perhaps photos) as you risk them being infected and thus infecting your new system.

You also still have the alternative of cleaning the current system. To do so, please read the thread in my signature. (The same thread that Howard recommended you to visit)

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

This thread is for the use of afreund0317 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I agree with momok. You definitely don`t need to buy a new system.

In case you want to reformat, here are the instructions for doing so.

You need to do the following.

Diconnect from the net and don`t reconnect, until you have your firewall software installed.

1 Restart your computer and go to setup usually by pressing the F2 or delete key.

2 Once you get into setup look for the boot menu and make sure you set it to boot from cd first followed by your hard drive.

3 Put the Windows xp disk into your cd.

4 Now save your settings and exit setup.

5 While your computer is booting you will see a message that says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key.

6 When the welcome to setup screen appears press enter and then press F8 to accept the Microsoft licence agreement.

7 You will be prompted to repair an installation press the escape key.

8 Now select the partition that you want to reformat and press the D key to delete it you will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the partition.

9 Now press C to create a brand new partition you will be asked what size you want the partition to be in mega bytes. If you just press enter then the partition will be the maximum size that you can have. This is perfectly ok if you don`t want to create multiple partitions.

10 You will now be asked to format the partition select the ntfs file sytem and do a full format.

11 Once the format is complete setup will continue.

Your computer will restart during the remaining setup again you will be asked to press any key to boot from cd DO NOT PRESS ANYTHING and setup will continue. Once the setup is complete and you are back in Windows remove the Windows cd from your cd drive.

Install your firewall software and reconnect to the net. Install whatever drivers you need, then run Windows updates.

Finally, install whatever programmes/software you want.

Hi,

May I also add that often times, an infection can occur again not due to the incompetence of programs, but because of user habits.
I highly recommend you to read this article first thing when you are done with the firewall and driver updates before installing other programs.
This can help to prevent future infections.

Should you have any further problems, please post in this thread.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

This thread is for the use of afreund0317 only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thank you for the advice. I'll try what I can. Only problem with reformatting is I don't know if I still have my XP disk I have had this computer for 7 years and it only has 128MB of RAM. Its not the best computer in the world but it works. I really only use it for photo formatting and internet usage... I used to use it for downloading but after this I'm done with that. I really hope I can figure this out. I'll try more when I get back home this evening.

If I do reconfig do you suggest I get more memory and if so how much?

Hi,

I'm not the best person at such an issue, but one thing I can say is this.
The amount of RAM should depend on your usage of the system; whether it is high intensive gaming, excessive photoshopping high resolution images, or just random surfing on the internet. If it was the former 2, I would suggest getting the total to at least 512 or even 1 gb.

In any case I would encourage you to get at least 512 MB if you are using Windows XP. It helps for a smooth and faster running system. ;)

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

Well I guess I am going to try to clean my system. Which sucks because I think I should probably reformat it but I seem to have miss placed my Windows XP disc not sure that I ever had one. :( So here I go. I'm printing out the instructions right now and hoping to god I figure something out.

No worries my friend.

We'll do our best to help you clean your system; I hope it is still functionable enough now to do the cleaning steps. Good luck with the steps.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

Well It took me all night lastnight just to run that virus scan from the online site. So that is done and I'm moving on. I have very limited time to work on it. I'm worried though that if I can't get it finished in one night what I have done will just keep coming back. It is running pretty slow but the net seems to be working okay so thats most important. :)

Well.. let us know when you are done and post the requested log files (AVG Antispyware, HijackThis, ComboFix) here as attachments to your reply.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

Well now I've ran into another problem or possibly more. After downloading the antispyware, anti virus, firewall, and updated hijack this my computer is now barely running. I cannot access the internet at all even if I turn off the firewall. So I cannot post to this site. On the plus side I was able to access the task manager but I have no idea what should and shouldn't be running.

I'm buying a 512MB RAM today. But now I'm curious. My father has a Windows XP Home Edition disk... can I use that or will it tell me that its already being used on a different computer?

*** okay I take that back my father thought he had a windows xp home edition disk but turns out its a recovery disk just for his computer. Now I feel hopeless.Can I buy a new windows xp disk what if I bought windows vista would it do the same thing. Tell me what you would do.***

I'm sad to say I've given up. I cannot get a 512 for my computer because my processor will not process that much. So I feel that I have no choice. I cannot do anything else.

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps you could check out our forums HERE for help with the RAM.

Since you can check task manager, could you check it and see which processes take up the most memory and use the most % of your computer resources? Just a quick check from me to see if I can do anything.

PS. Were you able to run HijackThis and scan? If so, do post your log as an attachment. running a HijackThis scan takes very fast and it does not use much system resources.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

:( Well Its a a computer place now. After I got home on Friday it wouldn't even turn back on. it would open the desktop background but nothing else then it shut down. I took it in to run a diagnostic check on the Hard Drive & RAM they suspected the Hard Drive is bad. I will find out today. I'm going for buying a new Hard Drive. Found out my processor is 40g and being my computer is 7 years old with nothing done to it. The guy at the shop said that is better than expected. So I'm looking positive. I think I'm going to have them just rebuild it for me.

I see.
In that case, good luck with the new drive.

Often times, an infection can occur again not due to the incompetence of programs, but because of user habits.
May I recommend you to read this article.
This can help to prevent future infections.

Should you have any further problems, please post in this thread.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back