TechSpot

I cannot burn a bootable DVD

By markiss
Jul 25, 2007
  1. About 18 months i bought an HP 300n DVD/CD writer combo. It works great and I continue to burn flawless DVDs and CDs. I can also burn bootable CDs. But my problem is I cannot burn bootable DVDs. I have burned the same ISO file onto both a CD and a DVD, the CD boots but the DVD doesn't. Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

The ISO was probably created from a CD and therefore can only be successfully burned back to a CD? Truth be known that is just a guess.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,703   +1,886

Probably a Good Guess......

An Iso file (which is an image), is media specific. Why does this DVD need to boot? I have never needed to do so, but my Nero (burning ROM app), says it will burn a bootable DVD. Beyond that I'm lost.

4. markiss

markiss TS Rookie Topic Starter

?

The original iso image is from a bootable dvd. It might be my dvd writer, but I doubt it.

5. Cinders

Maybe it's a bug in your burning software. What software are you using?

6. markiss

I've tried a few, burn4free is the one I have been using to burn all my discs. I then tried PowerISO, and i just tried Alcohol 120%, all with the same failure. This is quite baffling to me. I made an ISO image of my old win98 disk that is bootable. Then burned it to a blank cdr it booted just fine. I burned the same ISO to a blank dvd and it doesn't boot. I have deduced that I have a hardware problem somewhere but I am clueless as to where.

7. Cinders

I have a retail copy of Nero 7 Ultra. I'll make an ISO of XP and 98SE and see what happens when I burn it to DVD.

I don't usually make ISOs. What I usually do to copy a Windows disk is grab the boot file from the cd with a program like UltraISO. I then copy the files from the Windows disk to my hard drive and then burn a bootable disk with Nero using the Windows boot file and fill the disk with the files from the hard drive.

8. markiss

thanks Cinders, that will tell me if it's a hardware problem. Meanwhile, I'm going to go ahead and buy a dual level DVD burner, it's time anyway.

9. Cinders

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I created an RNG of Windows XP and burnt it to a DVD with Nero and it worked. RNG is Nero's version of ISO. I actually don't have any CDR to test this on but I'm going to assume that it would work for a CD too. I'm going to try to create an ISO with Nero and see if that works too. I couldn't figure out how to make Nero save the disk as an ISO. If you are trying to get a Windows 98 disk to run on a Windows XP machine your dives NTFS file system will probably make the disk not work. But that last part is just a guess.

10. markiss

Thanks Cinder, I haven't tried Nero yet, that will be next, failing that, it's probably my hardware, kudos.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.