I cannot log into Windows XP Home due to spy-agent.bw!mem infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My laptop has recently been infected by two instances of the Trojan spy-agent.bw!mem which were detected by a McAfee virus scan 5 days ago. Since that time, I have been struggling to log into Windows XP Home and desperately trying to find out how to get rid of these viruses, but with no luck...

The results of the McAfee scan:

Trojans

C:\WINDOWS\system32\twest.exe
Spy-Agent.bw!mem

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
Spy-Agent.bw!mem

When starting up, Windows XP hangs up at the log-in/select user screen. At first, I was able to get past the login screen and the computer stalled at the Desktop but with none of my desktop icons, start menu, etc...Initially, I was able to get past the blank desktop background by hitting cntrl-alt-del, bringing up the Command-line prompt in Task Manager, and then typing "C:\" at which time the following error message came up:

'/idlist,:0:3972, c:\
Windows can't find ‘/idlist,:0:3972, c:\’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.'

Now, that won't even work. When I tried to start my computer yesterday and this morning on numerous occasions, when I turn on the computer, Windows XP Home never gets past the log-in page where you select the user. Whether I select my user name or the Administrator, it logs in for a few seconds, at which time I see the desktop for a second, but then it immediately logs off again, and I'm back at the log-in screen.

The results of the last McAfee scan that was run before my computer stopped getting past the log-in/select user screen, it stated that it had detected 5 items of which 3 were quarantined and 2 remain, Would you please guide me as to how I should proceed to eradicate these little pests from my computer so I can log in?

I attached the results of the GMER Rootkit Scanner and 2 documents related to the DDS scan as recommended on other virus removal tech assistance forums--I ran before them before it became impossible to log into Windows XP.

Thank you very much in advance,
Liam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back