TechSpot

I cannot play or use my encrypted files after reformat

By BillGates
Aug 28, 2005
  1. I had to recently reinstall windows xp pro and reformat afger adding a gig of ram to my system.

When I tried to access my encrypted files I get access denied.

Is there a way to decrypt my files, I have tried various software products and they do not work. I have tried to use the decryption password wich would be the administrator password when I decrypted the files and it still did not work.

Someone please help me.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Please take note of the threads at the top of this very forum. Marked in bold Read and in particular the one with the title containing all-caps "ACCESS DENIED" ..

3. urbandragon

urbandragon TS Rookie Posts: 231

He mentioned encrypted files.. i dont think the ACCESS DENIED post will work for him.

Granted i am assuming EFS is being used... if so then he would need the EFS recovery agent to decrypt the files and if he has already formatted i dont think it will be possible to decrypt them...

I would still give the post on ACCESS DENIED a shot to see if it will indeed work with EFS encrypted files, i am curious myself to see. *heading home in a few hours to test the above on EFS* will post back to let ya know what i find out.

4. urbandragon

Encryption works with public key encryption, without going into it much to decrypt the files you have to have the public key which only 2 accounts(SIDS) would have access to. the original owner (SID) and the assigned recovery agent(typically the backup and recovery group is assigned as the recovery agent, Umm i think...)

The reason it will not let you decrypt the key as the current system admin is because if the file was encrypted with the admin account on a different install the admin account (SID) will be completely different so that alone would tell me that wouldn't work.

I am very curious as well to see if it is possible, especially by changing the "owner" of the files/folders that are encrypted....

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

6. urbandragon

Second url was an excellent read RealBlackStuff.. didn't do the first one wants me to join to read it and i am too lazy right now to do that:)

I guess the real question comes down to if BillGates is really using encryption or just thinking it is encrypted.

7. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

You guys lazy or what?
    Just scroll down past the advertisement block, there is the rest of that thread!

8. urbandragon

Oops my bad on that... i wasn't paying attention to the entire site. saw the beginning message then saw signup to see this contribution.. so i made the bad mistake of assuming that it was a subscription site and didn't have the rest of the info on that page...

Thanks for clearing that up, and it pretty much confirmed what i was thinking.. Hope it helped the original poster.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.