I cannot play or use my encrypted files after reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGates

I had to recently reinstall windows xp pro and reformat afger adding a gig of ram to my system.

When I tried to access my encrypted files I get access denied.

Is there a way to decrypt my files, I have tried various software products and they do not work. I have tried to use the decryption password wich would be the administrator password when I decrypted the files and it still did not work.

Someone please help me.

Please take note of the threads at the top of this very forum. Marked in bold Read and in particular the one with the title containing all-caps "ACCESS DENIED" ..

Nodsu said:
Please take note of the threads at the top of this very forum. Marked in bold Read and in particular the one with the title containing all-caps "ACCESS DENIED" ..

He mentioned encrypted files.. i dont think the ACCESS DENIED post will work for him.

Granted i am assuming EFS is being used... if so then he would need the EFS recovery agent to decrypt the files and if he has already formatted i dont think it will be possible to decrypt them...

I would still give the post on ACCESS DENIED a shot to see if it will indeed work with EFS encrypted files, i am curious myself to see. *heading home in a few hours to test the above on EFS* will post back to let ya know what i find out.

BillGates said:
I have tried to use the decryption password wich would be the administrator password when I decrypted the files and it still did not work.

Encryption works with public key encryption, without going into it much to decrypt the files you have to have the public key which only 2 accounts(SIDS) would have access to. the original owner (SID) and the assigned recovery agent(typically the backup and recovery group is assigned as the recovery agent, Umm i think...)

The reason it will not let you decrypt the key as the current system admin is because if the file was encrypted with the admin account on a different install the admin account (SID) will be completely different so that alone would tell me that wouldn't work.

I am very curious as well to see if it is possible, especially by changing the "owner" of the files/folders that are encrypted....

Second url was an excellent read RealBlackStuff.. didn't do the first one wants me to join to read it and i am too lazy right now to do that:)

I guess the real question comes down to if BillGates is really using encryption or just thinking it is encrypted.

urbandragon said:
Second url was an excellent read RealBlackStuff.. didn't do the first one wants me to join to read it and i am too lazy right now to do that:)

You guys lazy or what?
Just scroll down past the advertisement block, there is the rest of that thread!

Oops my bad on that... i wasn't paying attention to the entire site. saw the beginning message then saw signup to see this contribution.. so i made the bad mistake of assuming that it was a subscription site and didn't have the rest of the info on that page...

Thanks for clearing that up, and it pretty much confirmed what i was thinking.. Hope it helped the original poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back