I can't close programs in task manager

By badsearcher
Oct 26, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In Windows Xp, I sometimes have the problem that I'll start up a game (the current example I'm thinking of is Red Orchestra) and it won't load up but the executable will still be running (thus giving me the problem that I can't just attempt to run it again, because it will tell me that it is already running). The problem more than anything else is that when I try to end the process in task manager, it will ask me if I am sure, I'll click yes, and then the executable will still remain undeterred and it will still indicate to me that the program can't run two processes of the same program at the same time. So what can I do about processes that refuse to end?

Thank you very much in advance!

-Badsearcher
  2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +35

You problem is not so much as how to close it, but rather to find why it's handing and not closing properly. Windows XP has an excellent feature named the Event Viewer which has logs for everything that happens on the machine. If you can find an Error at the time of the failed shutdown, we should be able to find the resolution:

To open the Event Viewer:
    Start> Run> cmd> type in eventvwr
    Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
    Click to open the log> look for the Error> right click on the Error> Properties> Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow and Paste here (Ctrl V)

You will likely see Error #1002 for Application hang or #1000 for Application Error

Please ignore Warnings If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed. You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  3. badsearcher

badsearcher Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

sorry for flaking, anyway I tried going into the event viewer like you advised but it didn't actually display any instances of either thing pertaining to that software.

-George
  4. Bobbye

Surely there is something about a hanging application! Unless you know how to 'read' the Event Viewer, don't be to quick to dismiss what you see. Check freeze time on computer clock> look for "any" Errors at that time in both the System and Application logs.

If this fails, suggest you uninstall/reinstall the problem games..
  5. badsearcher

Actually I seem to see this recurring error, it doesn't connect with the time of the hanging application but it repeats in a list 30 times over and I would believe that it would be connected.

Thank you very much for your help thus far.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10016
    Date: 11/15/2008
    Time: 2:08:06 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
    Computer: GEORGE-DCEDD448
    Description:
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
  6. mflynn

mflynn Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,793

hi badsearcher

Download Dial-A-Fix (DAF)

http://djlizard.net.nyud.net:8080/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip

Have XP CD available in case DAF needs a file.

Check all boxes on the screen (clear any restrictions if it shows any)
    Then click GO!

When the entire page is finished click the HammerHead at bottom to go to the second DAF page.

Here do the below

Repair Permissions

Watch for any File not found or other errors and make note as this may lead to the fix!

Reboot retest!

Get back to us.

Mike
  7. Bobbye

IF whatever was referred above doest work (I am not familiar with it) then please follow the steps here to fix the DCOM Error:

That DCOM error is related to app_filter its part of the nVidia firewall.
    It can be corrected by adding the NTAUTHORITY/SERVICE user to launch and activation permissions for app_filter with local launch and activation permissions.

To do this go to Control Panel> Administrative tools> Component services,
    1. Expand component services in the tree view to> Computers> then My computer then> DCOM Config>
    2. Right click on app_filter> Select Properties>
    3, On the Security tab select Customize for launch and activation permissions> hit the Edit button to open the Launch Permissions page,>
    4. Click the Add button to open the User and Group selection page
    5. Click Advanced to open the Select User or Group page>
    6. Click the Find Now button then scroll down through the list of users and groups until you find SERVICE in the list and highlight it>
    7. Click OK to return to the select Users or Groups page>
    8. Click OK again to return to the Launch Permissions page

9. Now you should see SERVICE in the list of Users and Groups for app_filter>
    10.Highlight SERVICE and check Local launch and Local activation in the permissions for SERVICE>
    11.Click OK again to return to app_filter properties page and click OK again, now you should be all the way back to the component services page and the SERVICE user has permissions so you wont get any more DCOM errors.

This is definitely a careful step by step process, so take one step at a time.
  8. badsearcher

Well Bobbye, I took your advice and I hope that the dcom error was the source of the problem because hopefully that will mean that this is the last I've heard of this issue. I've already known of nvidia firewall to have been a problem in the past but I didn't get around to reinstalling my motherboard drivers while choosing not to install nvidia firewall. Thank you for your help.
  9. Bobbye

You're welcome. Please let me know if this handles the problem. Personally I didn't realize a nvidia firewall could cause this, so I'll be glad if we can confirm your fix for it!

Just follow the yellow brick road!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.