I can't ever get remote desktop to ever work ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGates

I have remote desktop installed, I followed all of Microsoft's directions including installing the file from ISS and everytime I try to connect to a computer with remote desktop it never works ever.

I even have it so it is enable in my firewall and in system.

Well Bill, it's your program! you made it! J/K - but you really haven't give us enough information to try to help you. Where is your machine in relation to the machine you're trying to connect to? What OSes and version (patch levels) are they running? What are the firewall settings on the machine you are trying to connect to?

Sorry about that.

Mine
Windows XP Pro SP2
Windows Firewall settings set to allow remote desktop. (also set in the system in control panel)

The other machines are
1. Windows 2003 server Enterprise (which has another problem I can login at the server but the only think I see after login is a black screen ctrl alt del works and that's all.)

23miles away.

2.Friends computer 120ft away Windows xp pro, sp2, same config.

3. From school back to my home 23 miles away. Win xp pro sp1.

NIC Gigabyte Ethernet 10/100/1000

Are you getting any error/any messages?
If you are not an authenticated user on any of these machines, then they have to invite your session.Also RD must be setup to accept incoming request from you on those other desktops.

How to I set up the computers to "accept me" I am an admin on all of the computers. except for a few of the school library computers because I haven't asked to be one yet.

Hi
First off, you should know the ip for each box you wanna remote to. This makes it far easier to rdp to. Then you have to consider hardware firewalls/isp's and whatnot blocking your access. As well, if you have more accounts than just the admin account at the remote systems, and someone is using any of them at the time you want to connect, they have to log off manualy to allow you in. There's a lot more to rdp, and I am positive I haven't seen it all re rdp, and am also certain that others will have entirely different results from mine.
I use it and find it very reliable and secure, once you have added the latest patch if you don't run sp2.

:D

I am the admin and when I do use it no one is logged in I get an error saying client is to busy blah blah blah or cannot accept anymore connections.

I have comcast they don't block the use of rdp do they?

Hi
I think they certainly could, but probably don't, as it's not a web server or other prohibited service per the service agreement. I would call and find out if they block them just to be sure, and ask specificaly for the range of ports that rdp uses.

To rule out incorrect settings, I would try rdp out on a local lan (switch, hub, router, crossover cable) so you have direct contact with the system, and can set a static ip on both systems just for the test, the one you use to rdp, and the one rdp'd into. This will rule out networking, so you can verify the boxes are set up for rdp correctly.
If the remote boxes are behind routers/firewalls/ICS-ICF, you will need to poke a hole into the routers/firewalls/ICS-ICF, allowing access by the correct ports to the boxes. Like I said, set up a lan and test each box out if you can. Each rdp client needs to have a distinct password, if you don't have a password you won't get far. Sorry if you have a pw already, just making sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back