I can't get my new video card to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

I just bought this card (GF 7600GT, OEM), without software. I downloaded the software and tried the set up---all this with my old card still in place. Set up wouldn't complete because I got a message that said something like "Setup cannot complete as there is not any compatible hardware." So, I installed the new card, and turned on my pc. The only thing now that I get on the screen is "Monitor is in powersave mode. Use PC to initialize" or something like that. So it seems obvious that my card isn't being recognized. I tried turning the comp off and on a couple of times, all with the same result. I have no idea what I need to do to get the new card up and running--so I put the old one back in so that I could post here. How do I get this new card to work before the drivers are available? Or, how can the drivers be available when I need them to get this working?

I bet you will be happy when you can finally get rid of that old radeon 9200se, I have that same card in my seconed computer and i'm still considering ditching it (After I get the Power supply working again :mad: ).

But make sure that you don't have to plug in a molex connector on your card, and also make sure that your power supply is big enough.

I'm almost in the exact same boat as you. I just got an XFX geforce 7600 GS hours ago and installed it and rebooted. No video at boot up. Turned off PC, took out the new card and rebooted. Here I am. I have an onboard graphics accerator (GL915) that intel isn't going to support with vista so I ran off today and got this card for 50 bucks. It works, I know this much as I saw it working before I took it. It's a PCI express, and it has a couple connectors on the back of it. SHouldn't I be able to just install and reboot, get drivers and walla? I don't have to plug my monitor in the new card do I? If so I guess I'll have to go grab something. Gonna do some more research....looking forward to any progress made on this problem. Couldn't find anything this relevant on any other threads here/.

B

edit: saw a post stickied that suggested I throw some specs out there for you. SO here we go

Processor-Intel pentium 4 3.4 Ghz
Windows Vista Ultimate
1gb ram
300w power supply (Allied) 12v 18A
ASus mobo, P5GL-MX

Your going to want to plug your moniter into the new card because the onboard video might possibly automatically shut off.

I have an crappy CRT monitor with a plug in that doesn't match the ones on the card.....know what any kind of adapter is called. Still looking for more information online. thx

Stick'o ram said:
Your going to want to plug your moniter into the new card because the onboard video might possibly automatically shut off.

That's exactly what I did--and there was nothing on the monitor--not even the boot up stuff. Could I go into CMOS and enable the on board graphics, then install my drivers for the card, and then disable the onboard graphics again?

Stick'o ram said:
I bet you will be happy when you can finally get rid of that old radeon 9200se, I have that same card in my seconed computer and i'm still considering ditching it (After I get the Power supply working again :mad: ).

But make sure that you don't have to plug in a molex connector on your card, and also make sure that your power supply is big enough.

I'll be glad to get rid of the radeon---but right now, it's the only card that works. Okay, I'm going to show my ignorance, but what is a molex connector?

Have you made sure that your powersupply meets the minimum req.?

Also ruedogger, your thinking of a DVI adaptor...

EDIT: Sorry I psoted beofre i saw your comment, its the 4 pin connector you use to power dvd-drives, cd-drives, IDE hard drives, etc...

EDIT2: Ruedogger your starving your system a P4 and a Geforce 7600, your powersupply probaly can't handle it, what card do are you using now?

Do I need a DVI adapter to plug my CRT into the video card or should I be able to run the monitor from the port it is in now? Store closes at 10 lol, want to try and get this tonight. :p thx

B

Ruedog, you might want to go get a good power supply 450+ watts, reason being that if you do get your computer working with it, the powersupply might not hold up to the extra work and could potentialy take down your whole system when it does blow.

Stick'o ram said:
Have you made sure that your powersupply meets the minimum req.?

My power supply is 350 watts. Is that the problem? How do I find the minimum requirements? I don't have any kind of user's guide.

ok, bought and installed a new power supply. same thing, though I wasn't convinced that was the problem anyway, regardless, I needed a new one, that much is true. Make any progress on this guys?

B

ruedogger said:
Do I need a DVI adapter to plug my CRT into the video card or should I be able to run the monitor from the port it is in now? Store closes at 10 lol, want to try and get this tonight. :p thx

B

DVI adapter is for when your graphics card has DVI out and you monitor doesn't have DVI in, Your CRT monitor has VGA in so it just plugs into the DVI out converts to VGA and sends to monitor.

If your video card has VGA and DVI outs then you can just plug into the VGA slot which is what I am guessing that you did.

Have you went into BIOS and tried manually enabling the graphics card and disabling the integrated graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back