I can't get pass this...loading information file dmreg.inf for Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! Could someone please help me?

My windows XP Pro recently freeze up frequently and I couldn't even get to Safe mode so I did a repair. No dice. So, I re-formatted my hard disk and re-installed windows XP. Well, after copying the files into the hard drive, the computer will hang right at either "Please wait while setup initializes your Windows XP configuration" (and the word below are ..Saving configuration) or it will hang at "Loading information file dmreg.inf". I even bought a new HD, no luck with that. I used memtest86 to test the RAM, no error! I took everything off except the video card..still ...no help. I read somewhere about the PSU. Well, I checked in the BIOS setup, and the voltages are where they supposed to be!

Could someone please help me??

That problem is often there when my clients are using AVG Anti-spyware free edition. If using that, remove and reinstall.

Hmm, that's odd because I already formatted the HD! I bought another new HD to clean install Windows XP, same problem. I did the chkdsk /p /r, everything was fine! I am stumped.

Hmm, after some googling there a couple of things to try:

* if you have the intel i815 chipset try disabling Legacy USB support in your
BIOS

* follow through this support article from microsft

You could also try loading factory defaults in the BIOS and/or check to see if there is an updated BIOS available for your motherboard.

Seems like a bit of a tricky one this :(

Hey Raybay how can AVG be the problem if he's not into windows yet to even install it ;) So what are you saying AVG does. I run it on all my systems and have never encountered any errors like that?

Ok, I've tried your suggestion, CraigMC (except the BIOS flash update part) still no luck. Do you think it's the BIOS? I download the BIOS file from ASUS (my motherboard is a ASUS P5B800) and it has the .ROM extension. I don't have a floppy drive, can I do it with the USB floppy drive?

You should be able to, yes, but it can depend on the system sometimes. Give it a whirl and see what happens :) You may need to change a setting in your BIOS, have a look through and see if there is anything there for USB floppy support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back