I can't restart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve05

When i restart my pc, i get this error message...
Parser Message:
Value Creation Failed "at line 8

I can't log off, switch user, restart and standby...
Please help!

For you information, i did google for 2 hours and i've tried all methods ever suggested in the internet and still failed. That's why i came in here...i heard ages ago there's a lot of gurus in here...not really sure it's a rumors or a fact..;)

I'm going to take a wild shot on this one. I haven't researched any but somehow the error just sounds like a permissions problem.
In other words, "value creation failed" suggests that Windows cannot write something to the registry. Or perhaps to your profile.

Are you an administrator account? Does restart/shutdown work when in Safe Mode?
Can you create a completely new user account and log in with that? Does it work?
Are you on NTFS or FAT32? What OS, XP Home or Pro? SP1 or SP2?

If you use Task Manager to shut down every extra process you can before trying to shut down, will it work? In other words, use Task Manager to shut down just about every process under your user name, except Explorer. And try then.

Other than that, when does the error actually pop up? By clicking "Turn Off Computer", or after that?
Is there any System or Program errors recorded in the Event Viewer? What are those if any?

I'm sure you've been asked/told some or all those. But now WE need the info. So post anything and everything you find/found to be significant.
Thanks.

P.S. Perhaps you could post what fixes you've already tried. Thanks

a quicky search found this at msdn
Incorrect Identity Values After Failed Unique Index Creation
also some mention of writing to hard drive security error

good Luck

Have you tried doing a repair install as per this thread?

Just remember that doing the above will mean that you`ll have to apply all the Windows updates again once the repair has finished.

The above is only relevent if you are running XP or 2000.

Regards Howard :cool:

I have tried repair install but to no avail...what should i do?I know this is all happen because i'm messing with windows customisation, i used to use tuneup utilities icon packager, windows blind and object dock but i have uninstalled them.

I tried the methods from the forum but no luck! I've changed all the appearance including the buttons and taskbar to Windows XP default (luna) and still with the problem...i've renamed the shell folder in c:\windows\resources\themes to the name of the visual style shown in the appearance tab and still with the problem. Reboot in safe mode doesn't help either...
What should i do?

Just a thought.

Is it possible that if you reinstall those programmes you speak of, you may be able to undo the changes you made with them?

Other than that I`m all out of ideas.

Regards Howard :confused:

This error can occur after installing SP1 when you are running a non Microsoft visual style and the folder containing the customised styleshell.dll has a differing name from the themes name (as shown in the appearances tab).
To get rid of this error, you can switch back to a Microsoft Theme or go to
c:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\<Name of theme in use> and rename the shell folder to the name of the visual style shown in the appearance tab. If you have a theme with multiple variations you MUST make this change for each subfolder containing a differing styleshell.dll file.
See: http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/board/showthread.php?t=910

There is some malware that can generate this message at startup as well. Clean the computer of pests.
See, for example: http://support.gateway.com/s/MISC/V...shootsu29.shtml

1. Open regedit (click Start > Run > type "regedit" ) and go to key "HOT_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon". There you will found the value "UIHost". Change the data there to point to the full path of a valid logonui.exe. (C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe). Exit regedit.

2. And then Insert your xp installation disc and click on Start> Run> "sfc /scannow" without the quoted and click on OK. (Please leave a space between sfc and /scannow and click on OK.)

3. Click on Start> Run> type "defrag c: -b" without the quote...after the defragmentation is completed, restart the pc.

p.s i assumed u're using Windows XP

If even a repair install didn't work, some of that may not work either. As far as I know, a repair install would have reset any custom themes. Someone help me on that.

You didn't mention exactly WHEN the error pops up. After clicking what?

If you are technically minded, you could download a program called Filemon (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml) and a program called Regmon (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml.
When these programs are running, it tracks every hard drive and registry access that tries to happen. Perhaps you could use it to track activity up to the point of failure and see what some of the last entries are. What files are being accessed and what registry keys are trying to be written to.

These are very advanced tools and will spill out hundreds of lines of data. But I've had to use them on occasion to track things down.

Other then that. I wouldn't mess with it. Back up your data and reload. I learned long ago never to mess with XP and "tweak" programs. XP just wasn't built for that kind of tweaking.

Otherwise, if you are intent on trying to fix it, keep trying what everybody said, and post us some more details if you can.

cheers

ricvai7 said:
This error can occur after installing SP1 when you are running a non Microsoft visual style and the folder containing the customised styleshell.dll has a differing name from the themes name (as shown in the appearances tab).
To get rid of this error, you can switch back to a Microsoft Theme or go to
c:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\<Name of theme in use> and rename the shell folder to the name of the visual style shown in the appearance tab. If you have a theme with multiple variations you MUST make this change for each subfolder containing a differing styleshell.dll file.
See: http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/board/showthread.php?t=910

There is some malware that can generate this message at startup as well. Clean the computer of pests.
See, for example: http://support.gateway.com/s/MISC/V...shootsu29.shtml

1. Open regedit (click Start > Run > type "regedit" ) and go to key "HOT_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon". There you will found the value "UIHost". Change the data there to point to the full path of a valid logonui.exe. (C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe). Exit regedit.

2. And then Insert your xp installation disc and click on Start> Run> "sfc /scannow" without the quoted and click on OK. (Please leave a space between sfc and /scannow and click on OK.)

3. Click on Start> Run> type "defrag c: -b" without the quote...after the defragmentation is completed, restart the pc.

p.s i assumed u're using Windows XP

Wow...ricvai..wow! How did u manage to find those solutions? It's like u know everything about computing...i tried all the methods u've suggested and my pc went to normal again. Its solved! You're a damn expert man...no doubt about it...solute! Thanks ric, and everybody...keep it up! ;)

Now i just wanna know why did this problem accured actually?

Go ricvai7! uh huh uh huh.

Didn't I tell you we had some smart peeps around here?

And I bet he found it on Google :)

Vigilante said:
Go ricvai7! uh huh uh huh.

Didn't I tell you we had some smart peeps around here?

And I bet he found it on Google :)
hehe..i've googled looking for answers but i have failed..so what makes u think he got the answers by google? If he really did found any solutions on the net, he already refference where did he got it from rite? ;)

Yes, but he probably stumbled across those references after googling. I highly doubt anybody knows THAT freakin much, off the top of his head. Or he needs to get a day job! :)

How bout' it ricvai? What's you secret to success?

glad it's fixed dude!

Actualy ive been a computer technician for almost 3 and half years and do got a lil experience with windows troubleshooting...that's all. I also members of many great forums all over the world...that's where i shared my knowledge and learning new stuff too..in this case, i experienced this problem many times so i can remember what exactly to do and what shouldn't..

I'm glad to hear it's solved! Good work Steve...

There you have it. Another computer tech who needs a girlfriend :) lol, just kidding, really.

In all my years fighting, er, using, er, fixing, computers, I've never once seen this problem. But that's the coolness of using a forum like this. Power in numbers.

cheers

Vigilante said:
But that's the coolness of using a forum like this. Power in numbers.

cheers

That's the best thing about forums, especially TechSpot. We have great members who actually care about others, and not their egos of "I'm the greatest"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back