TechSpot

I can't use add/remove programs

By Karmashock
Aug 18, 2006
  1. It's weird, I can open it up but inside there aren't any buttons to press that allow you to "remove" programs.

Ok... look... I'm not an *****... I know what add/remove programs normally looks like... I've used it a million times... something's weird in here. The "remove" buttons are simply gone.

Anyone know what does this?

I'm sure it's something stupid... but it's really annoying.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Probably caused by spyware!!!

3. altheman

altheman TS Rookie Posts: 541

I had this problem once, dunno how it happened. I had to reinstall all my apps, somehow my registry got corrupted :( and wouldn't let me remove.

4. Karmashock

Karmashock TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 237

well I can use a different app to uninstall stuff... is there a fix for this? A way to repair the registery perhaps?

5. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

you try to do a system restore?

maybe try do a sfc /scannow using cmd or windows repair..

6. Karmashock

Karmashock TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 237

weird... sfc /scannow askes for the XP disc... but it keeps asking me to retry AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN. It's extra weird because if I very quickly hit retry every time the progress bar advances... anyone know what that is? Is it skipping the file or is it finding it after a 'retry'?

And why would it need to ask me to retry when it's RIGHT THERE!?! It's weird...

I'm being drowned in weirdness... I should wear bunny ears and giant carnavel stilts... just to express the weirdness...

7. regilb

regilb TS Rookie

1) sfc /scannow <-- does require ur installation disk for winxp
    2) is your user login with administration rights?
    3) to repair registry try registry mechanic.

8. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

reinstall the appwiz.cpl from disc
    check all you .cpl files by double click they shoulpen tha program
    you may have to repoint all your programs (reinstall)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.