TechSpot

I click on link/ad in email it opens documents & settings instead of a new browser

By cckk
Mar 14, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Out of nowhere, when I click on an e-mailed link it doesn't do anything, and when I click on an inbedded picture ad in e-mail it now always opens my documents and settings folder instead of opening it up in a new browser like it always has.

Any ideas? I did a scan with XoftSpyXE and found some nasty stuff and deleted it all, but it's still doing it.

Thank you!
  2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

3. cckk

cckk TS Rookie Topic Starter

No spyware.. all clear

I even tried installing a bunch of those file association fixes. It's still not working properly.

Any other ideas on how to make the links open up a new browser like it used to?
  4. Peddant

What browser are you using ? Is it working properly for everything else ?
    Spyware often targets IE.Did you run those scans in Safe Mode with Ewido and Bit Defender ? The only other thing I can think of is that you reinstall IE - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm
    Somebody else might have a better idea.
  5. cckk

I'm using Mozilla firefox.

I actually installed the latest IE and Outlook Express last week or so because I was having outlook issues. They seem to be fixed, but not the issues of opening links in e-mail.

Yeah, my links work everywhere else as pop-up browsers or whatever, just all of a sudden not if the link is in e-mail or if I am clicking on an ad in e-mail that takes me to a site to view the sale or whatever.

Ok, interesting thing just now: I tried opening a link through Mozilla thunderbird and it WORKED. So it's the outlook Express and/or IE that's messed up. I did install the new beta IE to try to fix everything, but it didn't fix the link problem.

Not to be a putz, but I don't want to get my XP disc out to do all this crap with fixing IE/outlook Express. I guess just installing the newest version didn't erase the old version? :rolleyes:
  6. Peddant

7. cckk

Yay!

Ok, I got it to work again by deleting the beta IE 7. I clicked on the remaining IE icon and IE 6 popped up. Maybe the 2 had some sort of conflict... I wish I recalled when the problem started.. before or after I installed IE 7.

THANK you for your time and VERY quick replies. This site rocks and although I'm pretty good at comps in general, sometimes I still get a little frazzled.

You guys are greatly appreciated :)
  8. Peddant

From what I`ve bee reading,when you upgrade IE,it upgrades the security settings as well.That`s probably what happened.
  9. cckk

yeah, possibly. Was just strange that clicking on e-mail ads would open up my documents and settings folder.

Thanks again!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.