I could use tips on what to do and/or be aware of before, installing Windows 7 64 bit

drpeppercan

At the moment I have Windows 8 32 bit installed.
The plan is to set up a dual boot with Windows 7 64 bit & Open Suse or Ubuntu.
I will do a clean install for Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, just so that I can then upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit (I only have the upgrade).
I was advised that before installing Windows 7 64 bit I should ensure in the BIOS is clear that my HDs are not set to use IDE but the alternative. I would recognize that other alternative if I was in the BIOS now. So in case there's anything else I should know I thought I would ask you guys.
Also, I suppose I should go with NTFS.

Thanks in advance guys,

DPC

The 8.1 upgrade is only apparent when you enter the Windows Store so that is likely to be why many are still stuck on Windows 8. After a couple of visits I stopped Windows shopping. :)

Gbhall, I can't blame you for wondering why would I want to downgrade. It comes to ONE reason: Windows 8 kept giving me an error while trying to render images from my 3D application. I did try my best for about a year to find a solution with lengthy trial and errors without avail. Now I am happy Win 7 is not giving me such error. I think I'll stick with it until a year has passed after Windows 10 came out, then I'll do the switch.

Be careful because If you wait a year after the launch of Windows 10 you'll have missed out on the free upgrade. Did you try 8.1 to see if it would solve your original problem at zero expense?

Mmm, good point! Thanks for mentioning :) I should then make an alarm reminder of the expiry date of that offer.
I didn't say it from the beginning, but I was running 8.1.

DPC

Back