TechSpot

I don't even know what to call this... help please?

By Webbstre
Dec 23, 2008
  1. This is kind of a freeze, kind of a crash, but mostly an annoyance I guess. Does anyone recognize what these screens are telling me?
    (http) ://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll276/Webbstre/710f5117.jpg
    (http) ://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll276/Webbstre/07c03fa9.jpg
    (This is my first post, so they wouldn't let me put pictures)

The top image is the entire screen, and the bottom is a close-up of a random part to show the "blocks". Sorry about the quality, but I took them with my cell phone.

The first time this happened to me was over the weekend, when I was "Previewing" some photos with Windows (whatever program it is that opens when you right-click and choose preview in Windows Vista). It happened twice in a row, then stopped. Today it happened while I was playing a game. The first two times I could move my mouse and see some movement on the screen (although scrambled movement), but this time no mouse movement could be seen.

I have Windows Vista Ultimate, and an Nvidia 9800 GTX 512MB graphics card, if that helps. My old graphics card (a GTX 8800) died a month ago, and when I took the computer in to the shop they replaced it with the new card and I started a fresh OS install on a new hard drive, so right now all my drivers are updated.

Anyone know what this could be?

2. tuant

tuant TS Booster Posts: 201

perhaps your VGA/DVI cables are loose?

3. Webbstre

Webbstre TS Rookie Topic Starter

Those are the cables inside the computer?

4. Webbstre

Webbstre TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, under advice of people here and other places, I updated my drivers, opened the computer, checked all the cords, and unplugged and replugged the graphics card once. If this happens again, I am to assume that the graphics card itself is going bad?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.