I don't know which driver is crashing my PC. Can anybody please help me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starvista9

I Re-installed everything last night on my PC, secruity updates and all except Service Pack 2. SP2 crashs my PC. Everything worked fine until last wednesday. My PC started "RE-starting itself on its own". I have Norton Av. 2005 w/current def. and Norton firewall.

When I let Microsoft send the error report ,it says it was from a device driver. I don't know which device driver it is though, thats my problem. How can I trouble shoot to find out which driver is causing my PC to restart on its own ?
Any Help is welcome, Thank you

Check your event veiwer for any messages!
Did you receive any error messages when Ser Pak 2 crashed your machine?
It may be the Xp firewall causes a Conflict with Norton's.
Did you load SP2 over the Net or off your HDD or Cd?

No, I don't have SP2 this time. I didn't download SP2 and I don't have the Microsoft firewall. I just have the current secruity updates minus SP2. This driver is driving me crazy. I wish the error report would tell me which driver is causing this problem.

Right Ckick ' My computer ' then ckick on 'Manage" Under 'System tools ' you will see the Event Viewer ,look for red or yellow icons next to any of the events listed. Right click ,the details usually indicate a program or driver file that is responsible for the problem.
You should allso see a 'details button ' on the Error report window.
Post back with any file name or program .

Start with System > work your way thru them all.If you don't have any luck then your going to have to do some forensics which is tedious.We can deal with that next if necessary.

Right click my computer select properties then the advanced tab then select start up and recovery and untick the box that says automatically restart.

The next time your computer crashes you should be able to see what caused it.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back