I don't receive a signal to my monitor after some maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
After trying to install some new RAM and a soundcard, my computer doesn't ouput a video signal anymore. My video card worked fine before this and the fan on it is still spinning. All monitors just display a "no signal detected" message. I don't get any beeps and it don't hear the hard-drive booting into Windows. I tried to remove almost every part of my computer, but I don't even get any beeps. I already tried to reset the CMOS. Is my mobo dead?

This sounds like a Power supply problem.You might try a new one as
they don't cost much.Get at least 350.Thats happened to me.
Or your Power on switch might not be connected.
Or you left your Power supply in the off position during new installations
and havn't turned it back on.

Difficult problem. Unlike Zipperman, I don't think it's a PSU problem there is power applied to your monitors.

Re-seat the cards and make sure all cables are connected. Make sure you ground yourself before touching any hardware. If that doesn't do it, you'll need to take the comp to the local shop.

I tried to re-seat everything and I'm pretty certain that all the cables are connected. I don't really have any local shops around here that won't rip me off, so do you think installing a new motherboard will do the trick?

I also just tried to plug in my MP3 player and a little LED flashlight in a USB port on my mobo and it didn't receive any power or start to charge like it normally would. Motherboard is dead for sure then?

Connecting a monitor

Monitors use a Power Bar connection or a 110 volt wall connection.
The same as the Power supply uses.
The Power supply doesn't have a montor connection.
This is in N America.:D
Quote My monitor
2.1.6 Plug the monitor power cable into a nearby outlet.
2.1.7 Turn your computer and monitor on.

zipperman said:
Monitors use a Power Bar connection or a 110 volt wall connection.
The same as the Power supply uses.
The Power supply doesn't have a montor connection.
This is in N America.:D
Quote My monitor
2.1.6 Plug the monitor power cable into a nearby outlet.
2.1.7 Turn your computer and monitor on.

My obvious mistake! Of course there's power applied to the monitor when it has it's own, separate power source! DOH! Although there are some PC where you can plug the monitor power cord into the PSU as well. Still, most setup their PCs with the monitor using it's own power source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back