I.E.6 History files

Just can't seem to delete these on command. I use the regular technique in tools, remove history etc. but it doesn't work unless I re-boot. Shouldn't these dump immediatley? thanks to anyone who can help me out here.

Originally posted by Wayne Colegate
Just can't seem to delete these on command. I use the regular technique in tools, remove history etc. but it doesn't work unless I re-boot. Shouldn't these dump immediatley? thanks to anyone who can help me out here.
[FONT=tahoma]Sometimes if you close the window out and open a new one the history is clear. I've had the same problem beofre. The hisory is realy deleted, but IE just fails to show that you did.[/FONT] :p

Welcome to Techspot forums, Wayne Colegate and Dr. Pneumo!
If you really want to delete IE history, you'll need to delete index.dat in c:\windows\history\history.ie5\index.dat (if you're using NT, it's in \documents and settings\*username*\local settings\history\history.ie5). But you can't delete it while running the same OS, you'll have to boot to another OS (I don't know if you can access that directory in recovery console).
Actually, I think you should delete the whole history directory to be sure.

Back