TechSpot

I enjoyed myself tonight! :)

By erwin1978
Dec 7, 2002
Post New Reply
  1. Boy did I have fun tonight or what. I had the fortunate chance to mutilate my AMD XP1600+ cpu. You know the one that's supposed to be on my computer right now, but instead I had to replace it with an XP1700+. Yah baby! I wish you could all have been in that bathroom. I had a hammer and a wrech and gave that cpu the punishment it so deserved for comitting suicide on me.

One thing that puzzled me: the die is surprisingly like a metallic rock. That baby shattered like no other. Ha ha ha.. I didn't even see any interesting circuitry like you would assume. It's as if the die is just a piece of solid glass.

Next, I used pliers to rip the brown stuff. What a stress reliever. The thing buckled like a piece of wafer. It's like a piece of fabric that has been hardened with glue. Obviously, it wasn't hard enough. Sweeet!

I wish I had a microscope so I can take a closer look at the die.

Can anyone link me on how they make CPUs.

2. vassil3427

vassil3427 TS Rookie Posts: 822

Lol, that poor poor cpu:( ...well i'm glad you enjoyed yourself and I dont blame you, were you unable to return it?:mad: ..Oh well I'll try to find a link on how cpu's are fabricated...I can tell you that the core is a peice of silicon with those little "roads" etched on it with ultra-violate rays...lol...

3. vassil3427

4. erwin1978

erwin1978 TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 327

:blackeye: :( Oh for crying out loud. Why in the hell did I lose sight of the warranty. I think you just spoiled my fun.:mad: Completely forgot about returning this to AMD.

5. vassil3427

I'm sorry erwin:(

6. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

:haha: Good idea, I have 2 currently dead Socket CPU's at my house...one's my old XP1900+ :haha:

7. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

Something made from Silicon is rock like?
    Wow... there's a shocker ;)

Anyway here is Intel's little explanation of how chips are made.

8. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 1,595

You shouldn't be able to see anything on the core if you cracked it open - The "circuitry" is so incredibly small it is thousands of times smaller then you would be able to see with the naked eye.

They are also built in layers - I forget what the material is they use for the base layer, I believe it's Silicon Dioxide. Various materials are used during each layer process to properly protect the core from the environment - Including aluminum.

And despite technologies rapid growth rate, even at the very best of Intels labs, the failure rate of chips straight out of production is about 50%.

9. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

I've been looking for a site that explains how chips are made to...

I've seen the one on Intel but that's IMHO just crap ;)

Has anyone made a movie about this or something? Would be fun to know more of these little critters ;-)

10. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,568   +103

Intel's one is a bit rubbish but it seemed to have some pertainent information and I couldn't be bothered looking for another one :D

Although Tweak3d have a fairly informative article on "How CPUs are made".
    The part about transistors is quite simplistic but some of the other information is quite interesting.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.