I get "hl2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" with all HL2 based games

Status
Not open for further replies.
sys specs:

intel p4 2.4ghz
512mb ram
radeon 9800 pro

ever since the last updates of css, hl2 and dod: source i have gotten this error message:

hl2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close, etc..

i have reinstalled all 3 games numerous times and the error still remains, it makes no sense as it works on my brothers laptop, which is lower spec. im sure other people must have had the same issues.

it is very frustrating due to it working fine until two weeks ago, as usual the help provided by valve was less than satisfactory..

open to ideas

thanks in advance

Error

Perform all maintenance first, ie defrag. get rid of needless files and programs
and maybe another stick of 512ram wouldn't hurt.

HL2.exe errors

Ok, I had similar issues. Here is what I did...

1. Goto the Steam website, goto the support, then look for your topic in the subject header.
http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

2. Delete all old files (Steam directory) and reinstall. Just reinstalling will leave old files behind. This fixed my first crashes.

3. Update all drivers for graphics, mobo, etc...

4. Run Memtest86. I started getting additional crashes 1 month later. I have a DFI nforce4 mb and it is built in. Found out my ram had bad chips so I got Corsair XMS and have no crashes now.

Good luck. :wave:

I was getting the hl2.exe error. I replaced my Intel onboard video card with: BFG GeForce 8600GT OC. Everything has worked beautifully ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back