i got a problem in my dvd rom

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello sir/madam,
i got a problem in my LG DVD/CD RW drive. this drive not work properly, it's read and write cd's but not read the DVD's. pls give me a instruction about this problem.

thanking you.

regards,
krishna

Try re-installing or updating the drivers.

Try uninstalling the drive from the Device Manager and then restarting your pc allowing Windows to auto-detect it upon restart.

Did you try different brands of DVD's and also maybe some Movie and Game DVD's?

Try uninstalling via the device manager and the sutting down the pc. Disconnect the drive and start up the pc. Then shut down and reconnect the drive and follow standard installtion procedure as if the drive was brand new.

Thought of one or two more things.

Did this drive previously read DVD's without a problem?

If the drive is new, then make sure that you have a DVD writing compatible version of Nero in case you have it. I once installed a DVD drive with nero 5.5 on my pc and it would also only read and burn cd's. I then uninstalled Nero and I could then read DVD's without a problem. Some other Cd burning software may also be causing this, not only Nero.

Let's get one thing straight - this is a combo unit, not a DVD writer, am I right?

If the upper sentence is true, then we move on...

If it's old, it is possible that the dust that gathered inside doesn't allow dvds to be read correctly but cds are read - this is possible because they read different laser beam intensity to be read, also data tracks are wider.

If it's new, and previously it read dvds, then you could look for the problem not into your drive, but your dvds.

You shouldn't bother about the drivers, removing the drive from device manager and such, because if it reads cds, then the software problem is out of the picture, in my opinion.

This is it for now. Let us know about your progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back