I got annoying RAM Installation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya,

I'm a newcomer, I've had a quick look through the site for answers to this problem, but I haven't found anybody with a problem as simple as this! But soz if I'm askin dumb obvious repeat question.

I've got an ECS K7S5A mobo, and I'm running one stick of 512mb PC133 SDRAM... which I bougt on-line a while ago... I've just bought another stick from the same company that is also 512mb PC133 SDRAM and they're both what the vendor describes as 'Major' brand. On their own in either of my two SDRAM Slots they work fine... yet together - oh man do they cause problems - windows won't load, then on re-boot it starts in safe mode and tells me my graphics card drivers aren't installed properly, or it says 'SYSTEM HALTED' there is a prolem with kernal386.exe (or .dll). I've checked elsewhere and apparently the board will support a gig of SDRAM

Dont' know if this is anything to do with it but... In my BIOS there is a CPU P'n'P setting (3 options BUS/FRAM speeds - 100/100, 100/133, 133/133) I normally have these set at 133/133 so the computer runs at 1400Mhz rather than 1000Mhz.

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers, ////\/\att635

If you put one stick in at a time and go into BIOS where it has the RAM timing set by SPD, it should show the timings the SPD info chooses for the RAM. They should match, if not set it manually to the slower of the two. You could also change it to manual and set the timings to 3,4,4,8 which should be OK for almost any ram and see if both sticks work together. then work it back up to 2.5,3,3,7 or whatever the sticks are rated for.

If it locks up on POST, usually you can POST again by holding the left shift button down while turning it on, if not you'll need to reset the CMOS by the jumper on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back