I got ghosts... Could it be the new cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

My VGA cable broke, so I got a new one. Now I've got ghosts. Could it be the cable?

By "ghosts" I mean a sort of translucent echo of the image, plastered over the original a few pixels the right, then a few more, then a few more... so there are infinite translucent images receding into space (only the first four or five are particularly visible, but I can make out a half-dozen more if I try). The ghosts are evenly distributed throughout the screen, as opposed to being more obvious in some places than others.

It my also be worth noting that, during the interval between the old cable breaking and the new one being installed, my dad knocked my desk lamp over and it landed on my monitor, causing no obvious damage.

It may also be worth noting that there was nothing noticeably wrong with the picture before. I have a pretty nice LCD monitor and a decent video card, neither of which have changed since the old cable broke. That pretty much just leaves the new cable.

or the monitor and I am betting on the monitor. have u got an old working monitor u can try to see if it works, or one on another computer?

I just tried connecting it to my brother's monitor, which is identical except for not having had a lamp land on it. It was just as bad. With the original cable that came with the monitor, however, the picture is perfect.

Question: I've heard that if there are a bunch of cables lying in a mess together, they can interfere with each other. Is this true, or just a myth?

It's possible to get EMF interference from other cables, but those cables are usually shielded to reduce interference to and from other electrical sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back