I hate untidy MS people

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

Whenever MS updates something, i.e. 'critical patches', 'hot fixes', 'security updates', etc etc, they appear in Control Panel, Add or remove programs. That's fine, it tells me something was installed, allows me to uninstall it if it proves to be a dud. The necessary downloaded files appear in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution/download/cfe8c........ and numerous other subdirectories. A sort of uninstall executable for every one of these goes in C:\Windows\$hf_mig$\KB904942 and dozens of similar directories. The uninstall program is identical for most of these.

Then the actual dll's or programs also go in C:\windows\system32 and likely many other places too, like pre-fetch. The original versions of these dll's etc (for uninstall reasons), go into C:\windows\$NtUninstallKB904942$ and a few dozen similar names since SP2. The 'ready for install' files with a abbreviated suffixes into C:\i386 such as taskmgr.ex_

I'm annoyed that the vast majority of these are totally wasting my disk space and lengthening the time it takes to create an image of the O.S.

Let me tell you what happens after install of SP3. First off, nearly all the KBxxxx are redundant, since they are replaced in the service pack, and helpfully, they disappear from 'Add remove programs', but not from all the other places.
At the very least, all the original download files are completely useless, since they have been unpacked into other places such as C:\Windows\$NtServicePackFiles\i386. A quick estimation tells me that very nearly one Gigabyte of data is completely surplus to requirements following SP3.

As an exercise, and assuming you have set your PC to show hidden and system files, try a search for 'taskmgr.e' You should find it in at least 5 places.

I always zip up and delete the whole content if C:\i386, storing it somewhere else. I can restore it if I every need to uninstall something. Following the installation of SP3, amazingly, the whole of C:\i386 is now full of the original XP files of August 2002. I give up!

You must not have a great need to use your computer for work, communications, or creation.
I suspect you will suffer a number of crashes from time to time, not to mention the time wasted win inconsequential duplication (shall we call it bloat?) that impacts on nothing.
Your estimate of 1 Gigabyte in completely surplus data is important for what reason, when there is now so much room on every intelligent installation.
Do you have your shirts together by color and brand in your closets?

not really ! I just object to having to save an image 5Gb in size rather than 4Gb, and am hoping for an authoritative guide to what can be deleted without effect, or at least zipped up to somewhere else. Oh, and to enable workstation recovery in the event of hard disk failure, I am actually saving 50 times 5Gb instead of 50 times 4Gb to a server, a little matter of 50Gb

I suppose this is why many people reformat their PCs from time to time to get rid of this unnecessary detritus. The next time you install XP SP2, you can update with SP3 and save the duplication of so many critical updates.

Perhaps you need to leave the Microsoft Windows operating system and use another platform, more to your liking.

you are so right

Perhaps you need to leave the Microsoft Windows operating system and use another platform, more to your liking.

I just currently lack the time to do that, but yes, that is my full intention, once I am no longer responsible for office-full's of Windows.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back