I have a Laptop with a hard drive that I want to erase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickylaren

Unfortunately, my erasing software won't work because the computer doesn't have a floppy drive. Does anyone know how to create a bootable CD-ROM that can erase a hard drive?

Can I just copy the contents of the bootable floppy to the CD ROM drive?

Any Windows or Linux install cd that is bootable will do that for you. I, myself, am not that familar with doing it through linux but I imagine its pretty simple, for the windows cds it depends on whether you have a 9x or a 2000/XP one.

For the XP or 2000 you can just begin the installation and then choose format the drive when it comes to that.

I forget how to do it on the 9x installs, but hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

Yes you can just take the stuff from a boot floppy and put it on a cd, but you have to make the cd bootable, so you have to get the boot image from the floppy and then make sure you tell your burning program you want a bootable cd, from there it will ask for the boot image.

If you want to wipe the drive then download the CD version of DBAN. Or use any other utility - many of them offer ISO downloads. And as SNGX said, you can use any bootable floppy to make a boot CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back