TechSpot

I have a Laptop with a hard drive that I want to erase.

By mickylaren
May 24, 2005
  1. Unfortunately, my erasing software won't work because the computer doesn't have a floppy drive. Does anyone know how to create a bootable CD-ROM that can erase a hard drive?

Can I just copy the contents of the bootable floppy to the CD ROM drive?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Any Windows or Linux install cd that is bootable will do that for you. I, myself, am not that familar with doing it through linux but I imagine its pretty simple, for the windows cds it depends on whether you have a 9x or a 2000/XP one.

For the XP or 2000 you can just begin the installation and then choose format the drive when it comes to that.

I forget how to do it on the 9x installs, but hopefully this will point you in the right direction.

Yes you can just take the stuff from a boot floppy and put it on a cd, but you have to make the cd bootable, so you have to get the boot image from the floppy and then make sure you tell your burning program you want a bootable cd, from there it will ask for the boot image.

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

If you want to wipe the drive then download the CD version of DBAN. Or use any other utility - many of them offer ISO downloads. And as SNGX said, you can use any bootable floppy to make a boot CD.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.