I have a LOT of problems with my computer ><

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first, my computer would be randomly restarting. I download things all the time, could be a virus. This started right after installed Diablo II. So I decided to see if reformatting my C partition (nothing but windows stuff on it) and I reinstall with Windows XP 64-bit edition. (At this point I bought a new power supply to see if that was the problem.. it wasn't so I returned it) It has all kinds of problems (sound drivers for my motherboard doesn't work, Diablo II crashing with some random error) so I go and borrow a friends Windows XP Pro disk to try to install that, and this is when the biggest problems start. So I start formatting to this version of windows and I get the error when it is copying files (many of the files I had to hit retry several times one) ntfs.sys 0x00000024 in a blue screen. So I figured there must be something wrong with this CD, and decide to go back to Windows 64-bit until I could find another version of windows. I start formatting with the 64-bit CD again and when it is copying files (with only a few retry on certain files) it gets the same error. Now I guess it is a hard drive problem, buy a new one, and it turns out it isn't (haven't returned yet). I then get another version of Windows XP Pro to see if both CD's are broken. I put in this CD and right after it says "Setup is starting windows" it shows an error saying "CDFS_FILE_SYSTEM" at the top and "cdfs.sys" at the bottom. I tried taking out each ram and trying each individually, using only one of my two sticks it got a little further, when copying files it got to the file cdcopy.dll and it wouldn't work, I decided to see what would happen if I skipped it, and it comes out with the same "cdfs.sys" error again. :mad: I then get an extra CD drive from a friend (it was only an 8x, but it worked for him to install XP) and in the last XP cd I used (the one with the cdfs.sys problem) it still had the same problem at the same time (I didn't bother trying the ram again). I tried the original two (my 64-bit and my friends regular, which both has ntfs.sys error) and they restarted right after it said "setup is inspecting your hardware configuration" at the very beginning after booting from disk. One time I was lucky enough to get to after it says "setup is starting up windows" then asked to hit enter to continue, and it restarted. One time with the second XP cd (the one with the ntfs.sys error but not the 64-bit edition) it got to some point before letting me hit enter to continue it came up with a blue screen saying "USBPort.sys" "0x000000D1" at the bottom and "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" at the top. From the last problem there I am assuming it is the motherboard.
I do remember before I got all new computer parts my computer was restarting randomly and I did not know the problem. My main problem is not being able to install windows. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

all of my computer parts are about 5 months old (other than the new hard drive[only a week old but plan to return since it is not the problem] and the CD drive [got it on christmas])

comp specs:
Motherboard: Abit AL8-V
CPU: 3.0 ghz Pentium 4(i think its pentium 4, if there is any way to check without the box let me know)
RAM: 2x 512mb Corsair DDR2 PC4200
Hard drive(old):western digital 120gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache
Hard drive(new): Maxtor 100gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache
Power supply: some random 430 watt one. (the one i bought and returned was 600 watts, infinity i believe)
DVD/CD-RW: 52x 32x 52x 16x

of course this happens right befor oblivion comes out =(

you need to completely clean up that hard drive.
try this, it always works. backup your data first!
get a 98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start your pc with boot disk in the machine
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
display partition(s) (if any)
delete partition(s)
create new partition
restart
format the hard disk
turn pc off
take win98 boot disk out
put xp cd in the cd rom drive
turn pc on
get into bios
go to boot sequence and choose "boot from cd first"
save bios, exit.
let xp install.

You dont need to fdisk with the windows 98 disk or aything like that.

if you want a clean install of WinXP just boot to the WinXP CD and let it do the rest it will auto partition your drive and format. Its a hell of a lot easier.

k1n9k00p4 said:
You dont need to fdisk with the windows 98 disk or aything like that.

if you want a clean install of WinXP just boot to the WinXP CD and let it do the rest it will auto partition your drive and format. Its a hell of a lot easier.

dude,
windows xp won't install on top of xp64! 64 is newer!

same goes true for you can't install win-95 on top of 98 or you can't install 98 on top of xp, or you can't install xp(32) on top of x(64).
hope this helps understand upward mobility/compatibility.

alidabiri said:
same goes true for you can't install win-95 on top of 98 or you can't install 98 on top of xp, or you can't install xp(32) on top of x(64).
hope this helps understand upward mobility/compatibility.
I don't know about 98 and 95, but I have run 64 bit before and gone back to 32 bit. but anyways I ran memtest and.. 57146 errors over 1 hour and 25 minutes.

alidabiri said:
dude,
windows xp won't install on top of xp64! 64 is newer!

I have done it many of times in the past, thats not true. Also there file systems are different x64 and not x86.

Best of Luck... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

You boot of the xp disk

Click F8 saying you agree to the M$ TERMS

then you are brought into the partition area(don't know the eggzact name)

Delete the hard drive then you can make a new partition, or can continue installing and have windows do it for you.

Note: It has to be a Shinny Gold CD

Always clean OS Cd's because it's your OS

Virus Attack

Hi, does anyone know whether bagle worm would actually send the victim a letter of extortion that instructs the victim to send money to some Egold account? Apparently the flles are locked. Just wondering whether this is a auto generated email or what. Anyone has any website to introduce me to , so that i could read more about this virus?

v2000 said:
Hi, does anyone know whether bagle worm would actually send the victim a letter of extortion that instructs the victim to send money to some Egold account? Apparently the flles are locked. Just wondering whether this is a auto generated email or what. Anyone has any website to introduce me to , so that i could read more about this virus?
umm wtf...

but sooo does this mean it is my RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back