I have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used this forum for billions of problems with my computers and other peoples computers many times. I love the information on this website. Someone here always knows the answer to the problem.

I have a Laptop that is my do whatever laptop. I usually never cared what stuff I did on it but one problem I had was I neglected using antispyware/virus software. Soooo....as you can imagine this computer is torn apart. This is my problem.

I can't start windows normally without it locking up from startup to when it's on the desktop. I can start in safe mode fine. I can't start ANY program that deals with scanning my computer for any malware or viruses. If a program does start it runs in the background and I can't access it. I also always have IE running in the background doing god knows what. I've even tried installing any antimalware/virus program on my flash drive and running it. It just runs in the background... Oh and the last problem is that when I go to reinstall windows and it manages to get through everything and I hit enter to install. It says no hard drive is installed on the computer. *Oh forgot system restore doesn't work either. When I hit next for it to reboot and restore it just sits there does nothing*

I thank anyone that is able to help me and figure out my problem. Let me know if I need to do anything in order to assist you. ( Destroying the laptop is out of the question. :p )

How old is this "...do whatever..." laptop, and it is always handy to know brand and model, the hard drive brand and size, and memory capacity.

What programs are you running in SAFE MODE?

You might try starting with Windows Defender... which reorganizing things just a tad... If you are not using SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, or Spyware Sweeper, try one of those.

Be aware that the problem could be a failing hard drive, itself, if it is older.

If the data on the hard drive is valuable, it is sometimes worth it to mound the laptop drive in a temporary mount that will fit in a desktop, then scan the drive with the previously mentioned software from the Desktop, with the laptop hard drive mounted as a slave. Often this access to the laptop drive without booting allows you to run software that is otherwise blocked.
But be aware the infestation (if there is one) can migrate over to the desktop drive, if not protected.

It's a new laptop. My college issued it to my but I put my own hard drive in it. Only about a year old. Not old at all. I can say it's not the hard drive failing. And I have literally tried all the programs you listed. I have most installed already but when I run it, it just gives me a windows error message which I know is apart of the virus. I tried running some of the programs on my flash drive but they just sit in the background unusable. The hard drive is a toshiba 80gb. I forget the speed though. I know the speed is higher than a normal laptop HDD because I wanted it to run nice at the time.

That's my next problem. As I know a lot about computers, I've always been an ***** when it comes to slaving hard drives. I also just built this computer and would rather not risk the potential risk I'd have even though this computer is protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back