I have a problemwith trying to burn dvd's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a novice when it comes to computers, so I hope you guys can bare with me. I own a Dell computer and I have never had this problem until the other day. I have always been able to burn dvd's from an image file using Ulead DVD Moviefactory but now I can't. When I try to burn the dvd I get "Failed to burn to the disc."

I went into MyComputer and clicked on the CD Drive (E:) and I get the message "E:\ is not accesible. Incorrect function" I went to properties and clicked on Recording and I clicked on the Enable CD recording on this drive but I still have the same problem.

The problem started after I downloaded Nero 7 Ultra Edition 7.5.7.0. After realizing this might be the problem. I did a general clean sweep of the Nero but I still can't get my dvd to work.

I even tried to download pictures to a DVD using Media Center and it works up to 60% and then the DVD tray opens up and there is an error message on the screen.

I hope there is someone who can help me out. Would buying a new DVD drive fix this problem? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

you will have a problem burning dvd's if you select cd, it must be set to dvd and not cd be sure that you have made correctselection

tomrca said:
you will have a problem burning dvd's if you select cd, it must be set to dvd and not cd be sure that you have made correctselection

When I right click on start and hit on Explore, it only shows the CD drive, no dvd drive. Like I said before, I'm a novice at this so I do not know where I would look for the dvd drives. Is there a chance it was deleted and I would have to bring it back somehow?

Any help would be appreciated.

Revert back to Nero 6 Express if you can. There is no need for all the bloatware downloaded with Nero 7. You'll have enough problems with program compatibility with that Dell. It comes preloaded with plenty of bloatware on it already

I never had Nero last week and I don't know if downloading Nero 6 will fix the problem. Is there any way to restore my dvd E: drive? Would buying a new dvd drive fix the problem, because if it does, I would go that route to avoid all this hassle?

Remove the DVD drive in the device manager and let Windows find it again on restart. You could try and delete the secondary IDE channel in the device manager too, and restart your system. The only way you will know if Nero 6 will work is to download and try it. Do the device manager thing first

Tmagic650 said:
Remove the DVD drive in the device manager and let Windows find it again on restart. You could try and delete the secondary IDE channel in the device manager too, and restart your system. The only way you will know if Nero 6 will work is to download and try it. Do the device manager thing first

How do you remove the dvd drive? I clicked on it but it does not mention deleting it. Also, what is the secondary IDE channel?

Thanks.

right-click on the DVD/CD in the Device Manager and select Uninstall. The secondary IDE channel is under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Click on the "+", right-click and select Uninstall. Reboot you system.

To get to the Device Manager, select START, CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE, Device Manager

Tmagic650 said:
right-click on the DVD/CD in the Device Manager and select Uninstall. The secondary IDE channel is under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers Click on the "+", right-click and select Uninstall. Reboot you system.

To get to the Device Manager, select START, CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE, Device Manager

Thanks. I tried to do what you said but when click I right clicked on the DVD/CD in the Device Manager, there was no option to unistall.

I talked to one of my firends who told me it could be the dvd. I was using some new dvds that the speed was 16x. I have always used 8x. I went and bought some DVD-R 8x by Fujifilm and it worked! I was racking my brains on what was wrong and it wound up being something so simple.

I want to thank you Tmagic650 for your help.

You're welcome Irish27,
some DVD/CD burners become "picky" as they age. Others just quit working altogether

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back