I have a serious problem with my DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

boy_from_MK

Hello everyone!
I am from Macedonia,so i want to inform in advanced you that my english will be a little non-understandfull for someone...

Now,my Problem

Because my new pc broke down(my graphic card burned due to high overclock..i don't knew what was i thnking..),i am using the old one.The new one is in my manufacturer service...
So,here are the specs of the old pc:
Intel Celeron 1.8 ghz
2 x 256 mb SDRAM Samsung
Some old chipset motherboard with AGP x4
GeForce FX 5500 PALiT 256 mb DDR agp x4
250 Watt CODEGEN psu.
Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A 18x black <=thats the main problem,now...

I have bought farcry to play,even though thats an old game,i don't know what to play else...IT IS NOT READING IT!!!
Its one dvd not 3cds,so i insert the DVD into my drive,the light is not flashing just green light,then the light stops to glare,then i go to my computer and here is what it says on the where its gotta be Far Cry (D:) it is:
htd3cn.jpg

Then,when i double-Click it,i get this:
29ygod4.jpg

And the drive flasher isn't flashing at all when i double click-it!

Please help!I think this problem is when i Reinstalled my Windows XP SP2 on this machine....I don't know what is firmware and the drivers are.Here is a picture of it.:
iolzfb.jpg

I've installed this drive and have it on the old pc for one year...I doubt is the oldness that is making this drive to not function correctly...

Any help would be very appriciated...Also,my friend has the same drive but the white version and the drive is reading this game with no problems...Do i need to open the PC to check the cables or do i need something to do with the drive???Plz help me!

Thanks in advance! :wave:

i Reinstalled my Windows XP SP2 on this machine
Using the faulty drive I suppose?

Judging by your extremely well, easy to follow (time consuming) post. I would think that you must be serious about what to do.

You need to update your computer in full, to play games

Although your CD/DVD Drive is likely to be faulty
Why spend money on such an old (low spec) computer? For gaming purposes!

Please Update the computer.

As for the dates of drivers
Yes nothing strange about that (it's just the driver date)
And why it opens a blank folder
Normal. You just have imapi turned on in Services.msc (this has nothing to do with the issue).

kimsland said:
Using the faulty drive I suppose?

Judging by your extremely well, easy to follow (time consuming) post. I would think that you must be serious about what to do.

You need to update your computer in full, to play games

Although your CD/DVD Drive is likely to be faulty
Why spend money on such an old (low spec) computer? For gaming purposes!

Please Update the computer.

As for the dates of drivers
Yes nothing strange about that (it's just the driver date)
And why it opens a blank folder
Normal. You just have imapi turned on in Services.msc (this has nothing to do with the issue).

OK,so i have to turn off the IMAPI and where is that services.msc???I just like to play games(can't live without them) and just for fun...I just like to know about that faulty drive and what do you mean by "please update your computer"?As you can see,i have a 10000 times better one but its graphic card burned out and so the PCI-EXPRESS slot with it.Please help to fix this problem...

Start-->Run--> Services.msc

Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning"
This service is to allow you to drag and drop files into your Burner Drive to then "Write these files to disc"

But many users have their own burning software (like Nero) so therefore this service can be set to Disable, and stopped (just double click on it, to adjust the settings)

The next time you try to open the drive again, it won't be blank. It will just say "please insert disc" (you may need to restart first, from adjusting the service)

Basically you just have a hardware CD/DVD Drive issue. Replacing it will fix it.

Found Sollution!

People!I have found the solution! IsoBuster!!GO to http://www.isobuster.com
And download or buy it!I have bought it! Because it really pays of!

What it does?
When you activate the program,and previously inserted the DVD or CD that your drive didn't read before the program,this program will make it to force the reading of the disc!All you need to do is extract the everything from the DVD or CD onto your harddrive then use or install!

I did this and now i am playing Far Cry and other games!No need to flash,FirmWare or buy a new one!Listen to me!It pays off!

I am now very happy! You can be too!!!Very nice and safe tool!

This is like an iSO file downloaded from a warez site.Only that you don't need to mount.Just in the extracted folder double click setup.exe and that is that!Installation goes on....!!Very happy!And i believe to my old people: if you search alot,you will find that!

kimsland said:
Start-->Run--> Services.msc

Scroll down to "IMAPI CD-Burning"
This service is to allow you to drag and drop files into your Burner Drive to then "Write these files to disc"

But many users have their own burning software (like Nero) so therefore this service can be set to Disable, and stopped (just double click on it, to adjust the settings)

The next time you try to open the drive again, it won't be blank. It will just say "please insert disc" (you may need to restart first, from adjusting the service)

Basically you just have a hardware CD/DVD Drive issue. Replacing it will fix it.

Been there,done that..Never mind...i have found a solution:
IsoBuster! It is a very safe tool and very nice!Bought it because it really pays off!

IsoBuster didn't do it

IsoBuster just reset something in registry, probably the upper and lower filters
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
You could also go to Device Manager and remove the DVD Drive and restart

If you un-install IsoBuster fully, the drive should still read.
Unless you are specifically talking about reading ISO's, which you need a program for

kimsland said:
IsoBuster didn't do it

IsoBuster just reset something in registry, probably the upper and lower filters
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
You could also go to Device Manager and remove the DVD Drive and restart

If you un-install IsoBuster fully, the drive should still read.
Unless you are specifically talking about reading ISO's, which you need a program for

Thanks for your help!I will see that also..But is there a risk of removing the DVD drive and restarting it?Do i need to open the pc and reconnect the cables?

When you uninstall a device in the Device Manager, upon restarting the PC, Windows will automatically reinstall the DVD drive. There is no physical disconnecting so no need to do anything with the cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back