I have a strange HDD Problem

By JohnathanMonkey
Sep 28, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently purchased a western digital 320 gig. HDD. I put it in my comp and everything worked fine for about 4 days. I used the HDD as a backup for music and things. I turned on my comp. and on the first screen It had my original HDD(32756?), My CD Drives and then My new Hdd which out beside it had 0MB then it restarted and now it won't even show up in my computer? Can anyone plz. help me I would greatly appreicate it.

Johnathanmonkey
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Go to the Western Digital website to download their latest drive fitness test... then see if you can run it. It is a quick way to look for defective drives.
    New Hard drives fail because they get damaged in shipping, or because of a defective chip on the back. Western Digital will replace it, if your vendor will not.
  3. JohnathanMonkey

JohnathanMonkey Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

So even if it has been in my computer they will still replace it? Also, will I need the reciept for them to replace it?
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,430   +281

If it fails their fitness test they'll replace it, without a reciept, if it is still under warranty (which they can tell by the serial number).
  5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

most new drives carry a 5 year warranty. New drives are known to fail. I hope you saved the receipt.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,430   +281

You don't need the receipt. Its all based on serial number, the companies know when the drive was made based on the serial number. They replace the drive regardless of whether you have the receipt or not.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.