I have an ASPI problem, let me explain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrenter

Using Nero InfoTool, the files ASPI.DLL and WOWPOST.exe show no file version listed. The program says ASPI installation is corrupted but the dates with these entries shows July 17 2002.
The files which are valid, WNASPI32.DLL and ASPI32.SYS both say file version 4.71 and the date as November 21, 2005.
If I remember correctly, I bought this PC around the end of 2004, beginning of 2005. I don't know when they got corrupted but it must have been in the last few months. I haven't experienced any major problems that would make me think of the ASPI drivers, I can write to optical media etc.
I do want them though to be installed correctly and I went to the Adaptec website and downloaded the file aspi_471a2.exe. Tryed to run/install and came up with the error "C:WINDOWS\SYSTEN32\CONFIG.NT. The file is not suitable for running MSDOS and Windows applications.
Would installing/overwriting drivers cause problems, or do I have to delete and reinstall? I want to prevent any future problems so any help/advice would be appreciated.

Just anything to add.. Would anyone know what would most likely cause of ASPI corruption? I've installed several multimedia programs, burners, video converters and the K-Lite full codec pack which itself maybe unconnected to this.

I'm thinking the K-lite video pak messed you up
duck as I throw stones
every time without fail these things screw somebodys machine up
uninstall and get the codecs as you need them more stable and no bugs or trojuns come with them

Codec packs are eeevil!

Copy the config.nt and autoexec.nt from another Windows installation or the CD - they were probably corrupted by (anti)virus or (anti)spyware.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks again for the advice guys, I'm going to follow Nodsu's advice firstly and go from there. I'd rather install the latest version of the drivers from adaptec's website rather than use Forceaspi which is unofficial. It looks like an easier solution. Thanks once again.

Sorry nodsu, which directory/folder would I copy theconfig.nt and autoexec.nt files to?
Also, should I then in the future download codecs as I need them. The codec packs seem to be a Red Herring!

The windows\system32 folder.

Yes, it is better to use programs like GSpot to find out the needed codec and then install it separately. Codec packs have a nasty habit of doing much more with your system than just installing codecs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back