I have DSL for a short time, what should I download???

Vehementi

Hey guys,

I need help with a small problem of mine. Getting a break from the 28k I have at home (no joke) is great, but I find myself in a rut...I can't find any cool stuff I can download. I just haven't been looking around for stuff. Where do you broadband users go to dl stuff, and what do you? This may seem like a silly question, but I'm serious...I have my HDD from home and can put whatever I want on it. So far I haven't gotten much, mainly a couple mods for BF1942 and some game demos. But that's it! I'm talking about legal stuff but if you want to talk about smth else, get in the IRC room or PM me :p Perhaps a list of "essential downloads" on a website somewhere? That would be nice.

Thanks people.

DSL just sounds so great when you hear about it and have never had it, then you get it and never download anything. Well actually yes DSL is great but the whole thing where you go "oh my god I will download EVERYTHING" .. you dont really do that when you actually get DSL for some reason. I download a lot but when I got DSL I didnt really download everything I could think of. I think I downloaded a bunch of game demos and things like that but that was about it. Other than that I just download things when I feel the need to.

We can't discuss Warez here so I can't really give you an idea of what to download. :p

Well, I wasn't thinking of downloading EVERYTHING, but I want some cool stuff. Like stuff I can do with Windows, game mods, stuff like that.

I just got my DSL installed today. I've been using other means of high speed Internet, but now I have a fat netpipe to call my own. :)

For non illegal activities, try downloading game demos.. Update your comuter all to Hell, and surely you listen to music? ;)

I've been recently listening to shoutcast streams in the 128-192kbps range. You can do that and surf the web without noticing any significant slowdown. (well maybe you'd notice it if you only have 256 down or something)

This is base on my personal experience after switching to ADSL from 56K. Tell you what, you might get exciting at first about having DSL however after sometime DSL aint gonna be something unusual but is becoming a normal part of your life. It would better for you to download system updates, driver updates, more music while your asleep! like what Rick...and visit Flash! sites to impress yourself.

If I had DSL, which I soon will, I would download as many movies and game demos as I could; it wouldn't be a bad idea to start some music downloads either ;) . A good place to find out loads of downloads that sound appealing are places like FileShack and FilePlanet. Good luck with your DSL anyway, /me is jealous; at least until I get hooked up ;) .

It really is nice tim, I think me having DSL 4-5 weeks out of the year balances out with me having 28k the rest of it :dead:

Anyway I was looking more along the line of what you guys have found that was pretty cool, and worth a download, in your experience with broadband.

I much rather prefer paying $10 for a movie at a movie theater, or $3 for a rented DVD than a tiny, fuzzy, 300MB avi. I'll never buy a movie though...

Unfortunately, most of the "cool stuff" you need DSL or faster to download are technically illegal.
Couldn't think of any essential downloads. Game demos are fine for a while, you won't need those game mags any more.
You can go to download pages like download.com or zdnet and try their most favorite downloads, but most of it are trials for commercial products or peer2peer clients.

Back