I have no sound from my speakers at all. PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Windows XP SP1, but no sound at all. I am using an AOpen MX4GL motherboard. My sound card is onboard. When I check the device manager there are no yellow question marks. I have checked the properties of all the sound, video and game controllers and it keeps telling me that "this device is working properly" The speakers are working because I tested them on my cd-player and another computer. I have tried uninstalling the drivers and re-installing them but istill get no sound. PLEASE HELP ME. I AM DESPERATE

My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications. Then look for Windows Audio.

thanks JMMD, i have checked the Windows audio properties. the startup type is set to automatic and the service status is "started," but I still have the same problem. I am beginning to suspect that the onboard sound card is defective. Can I try something else or should I buy a sound card. PLEASE ADVISE.

You may want to see if you can borrow a sound card. If that fixes it, than it likely is a hardware issue. If it doesn't, its probably a software issue

thanks for your reply. I tried using another sound card but still it doesn't solve my problem. I even upgraded from XP SP1 to XP SP2 and reloaded the drivers, but I still get no sound from my speakers. i really don't know what to do know. i have run out of options. Any help to help me solve this problem will be deeply appreciated

This might sound very basic, but as a last resort, check if the volume is muted from within Windows.
Start->Run->'sndvol32' (without the quotes) and hit enter.
See if the Master Volume, Wave, SW Synth etc are not muted.

If you have a linux CD you could boot off that and see if it gives you sound. If so, then you have software issues. If not, you most likely have hardware problems. Knoppix is what i use generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back