I have one without icons or taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYo888

I have a Dell Dimension 4500 running XP Home(in theory anyway lol) I turned it on, and it went through all the normal boot screens, loaded the wallpaper and that was it! no desktop icons, no taskbar, no right click with the mouse. When I access the task manager with ctrl alt del, all that comes up is system processes none of the other tabs (applications, networking or system usage are not there) so I cant start a new process.
I did notice that explorer.exe is not listed anywhere in the processes but taskmgr.exe is listed 12 times.
I also noticed I have no sound when booting up or shutting it down.
The system will boot up in safe mode with networking and icons and taskbar are all there.
I have read many of the other post with similar concerns but have not found one doing the exact same thing.
Would someone be so kind as to help me?, so I dont fix this thing with a hammer! LOL
Thank You
I also just tried to do a system restore through safe mode but there were no available restore points.
And I dont know if this is normal but when I try to access my system information when in safe mode I get a big ole message saying "CANT COLLECT INFO cannot access the Windows Mgt. Instrumentation software.Windows management files may be moved or missing.

just wanted to give an update on other things I have done since last post.
I have tried doing a repair using the disk. ran chkdsk and found one or more problems. ran chkdsk /r ,to repair, still the same thing. went into safe mode > msconfig> diagnostic startup, still nothing.
come on guru's I know someone can help me get this thing to work,

I have made some progress I am now able to get icons and taskbar but I am getting a buttload of errors about missing files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back