TechSpot

I have really noisy fan

By Eric Kithaka
Jan 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. One day my pc wouldn't boot my OS, so I opened it up and reseated the fans, HDDs & the RAMs. I was however careful not to touch the capacitors and resistors and all the pretty stuff you find on a typical motherboard.

Re-seating fixed the booting problem. However, ever since my fan's been really noisy.

I have tried oiling the fan, dusting the CPU and nothing seems to work. I need help

My PC's a HP desktop, tower type

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,262   +1,551

Is this a CPU fan or case fan we are talking about? Is the fan a standard 80mm, 120mm, etc... design? If it is a standard design, you can purchase a replacement from several locations. If you are not sure you can measure the fan frame width. If it is the CPU fan you may want to get a 4-pin fan.

The 4-pin uses PWM signaling to control the fans RPM depending on the motherboard temperature sensor readings. While the third pin is used for the fans RPM sensor, without a 4-pin PWM fan it would spin full speed.

Fans of all sizes at Newegg

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.