TechSpot

I just want to toast bread

By Cremaster
Jan 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I am a noob and found the site because you host files for ifranview.

A bit about myself. I am 53 and when I get up in the morning I like to put my bread in the toaster and have it magically produce toast. I feel good when this happens. I do not have to download a firmware update for my toaster to make toast, I don't have to reinstall anything, all I have to do is shove a piece of bread which can be V1.0 or V6.33425, that is somewhat the same size as the slot and it makes toast. This makes me happy.

Today I put a memory card from a camera into the multi card reader on my computer. It recognized that I put a card in it but would not show the contents, in fact it insulted me by asking me to insert a card. Is that not adding insult to injury? I had to go out and spend $$$ on a new card reader, or try to figure out what the heck was wrong with the one on my computer which might not be the reader but the card or even the card format or what galaxy I was in at the time. Quite simply it was easier for me to go buy a new reader than to have hours of my life sucked out of me by a rogue OS (windows), driver search, viri and malware sweeps, reboots to find out it was still broken, and reading and rereading the manual.

I want my computer to do things and save me time. It does neither but I still hope that one day home computers will not be a hobbyist item but a consumer item. I suspect that until we are fed up enough to pay for quality hardware and software that we will never see that dream.

I came in here because of a malware infection that I hope I can clear.

2. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,577   +47

It's always annoying when "Computer says no". I think it's safe to say that they are a little bit more complicated than toasters :) The toaster has just one job...to make toast (two if you count collecting the crumbs :D) where as a computer can do hundreds of jobs, and mostly at the same time. So it's bound to break more often.

The problem you say with your card reader sounds like one i've found before. It sounds as though the type of card was wrong, and the only type i've come across in the past that catches some card readers out is the SDHC card. If the memory card came from a camera, it's more than likely a 4GB or more small SD like card. This won't be an SD card, it will be an SDHC card which alot of oldish card readers wont like. SD and SDHC cards can be almost identical sometimes.

But hey, if you've bought a new reader and it's reading the card, i don't suppose it matters much now. Anyway, Welcome to Techspot Cremaster :)

3. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,062   +8

Hi Cremaster :wave:

Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

You can read how to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support you may go to the Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.

System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
    And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)

4. Cremaster

Cremaster TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

Let me say this. This place rocks. I just got help removing a malware. Simple, concise, and it sure seems to have worked. Less than 24 hours baby.

My frustration level was zero for this fix.

I think you guys know what you are doing.

Now back to my toast, lol.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.