I just washed a USB key...

MYOB

In the 40 degree (celcius) cycle in my washing machine

Nothing much important on it, but any chance of getting it to work again?

if no soap dries in it and you allow it to dry thoroughly for a few days, its quite possible. Although, if any moisture gets trapped in the plastic cover, its prolly going to kill itself and possibly the USB port when you use it again.

A coworker of mine washed his generic USB key.
All the data was intact after drying it off.
Now it just smells of washing powder :p

StormBringer said:
if no soap dries in it and you allow it to dry thoroughly for a few days, its quite possible. Although, if any moisture gets trapped in the plastic cover, its prolly going to kill itself and possibly the USB port when you use it again.

In light of that, I think I'll try it first on an expendable machine (I have plenty... Dell laptops with no batteries that run as nothing more than test monkeys)

Being the impatient bugger that I am, I just hairdryered it. And it works! No data loss, nothing wrong except it now smells of Surf and the Disgo logo and the logo of the company who gave it to me (freebe) are gone....

I've heard from many people that if you simply wash it again with just water and are patient enough to let it dry completely out it should be fine. I've never done it myself though.

I heard once that even some fairly electronic things can survive if soaked and then left to dry for like.... a year..!

LNCPapa said:
I've heard from many people that if you simply wash it again with just water and are patient enough to let it dry completely out it should be fine. I've never done it myself though.

Considering its working now, I don't want to tempt fate by washing it again....

Washed many things

My dad did my laundry (which is ussualy my moms job) he washed my PDA. He realized it was in there after a while. (loud noise). I let it dry and waa-laa it still works.

Sean

BTW-The PDA i had before this was run over by my moms car, so i dont have very good luck with them

Back