I keep getting "cant find openme.exe" on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

friend2u

On my Win 98SE computer I receive a message repeatedly on startup that says "cant find openme.exe" is this something left over from an old app that might be in my registry?

Load up msconfig.exe & click on startup ( tab furthest to the right ) & see where the entry for openme.exe is.

If you don't have any problems with your system ( other then that error message at the startup ) remove the openme.exe entry once you find it. You shouldn't have that error message afterwards.

openme.exe, from my experience, is a virus.

What may have happened is the virus has been removed (perhaps by your virus scanner automatically), but left the startup information in the registry.

Very true Rick, I have come across this as well. What happened was it was removed, yet still linked to startup.

Doing the above steps should take care of it.

You might also want to verify that your Antivirus is up to date.

It is a virus, and has been around since at least 20th of march 2002, since I found a post about it from that date.

It has instructions on how to remove it from the registry here

Openme.exe

When I bootup the PC I get a messages "cant find openme.exe". My antivirus software had found a Trojan horse virus and removed it but this still comes up. I did a Google search and found some recommendations on how to edit my registry and remove the line from my registry. This is the line they suggest I look for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon --- Shell\Reg_SZ\Explorer.exe openme.exe" and remove the openme.exe. The problem is that when I go to the path HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion I see driver.desc and drivers32. I tried do a find for the openme.exe file in the registry and came up with nothing. Any suggestions?

Apparently you don't read posts carefully enough, LNCPapa and davey..

It could be in your or all users' Startup directory, too. Maybe in autoexec.bat or autoexec.nt but I'm not sure if they're executed every time the computer boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back