I keep losing network connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a desktop and laptop computer. They are networked to a satellite 2-way system modem. The two machines communicate through an access point.

This problem is recurring at random times.
I cold boot my computer and am connected to the internet.
I can ping my modem, access point, etc.
When I run ipconfig /all, I see that all the IP data is correct.

Then, sometime later, when I try to reach an internet website, I get the "page cannot be displayed" message.

I then right-click on the networking icon in my system tray --> repair.
The machine goes through the repair process and then I am back online.

My laptop is connected to my modem via the access point, and it is working fine all the time, so that tells me that the access point is doing its job, as is the modem.

I am wondering what it is that is causing my computer to lose connectivity.

Does the desktop use wireless too? If yes then..

Wireless connections drop. They just do that. If you want solid connectivity then use something solid like a cable.

It may be interference or obstacles between your computer and the access point. It may be your wireless card and the access point not liking each other. And it may be that you need newer drivers for your network card. And it may be that you have to use some other software to configure the wireless (choose between XP builtin and the one that came with the network adapter for example). And it may be your network setup (e.g. you have selected a bad channel or your computer doesn't like WPA encryption). And you might have to update the firmware of the access point.

Does the desktop use wireless too?

Yes

Wireless connections drop. They just do that. If you want solid connectivity then use something solid like a cable.

Agreed. It is just that I have never had this problem before I reformatted my HD and reloaded my OS and all my other programs.

It may be interference or obstacles between your computer and the access point.

My access point and my desktop's wireless adapter are only 12-feet apart. My laptop works fine, no interruptions.

It may be your wireless card and the access point not liking each other.

Both devices are Netgear products. They have been compatible and operated fine with each other.

And it may be that you need newer drivers for your network card.

That's a possibility. I will try this.

And it may be that you have to use some other software to configure the wireless (choose between XP builtin and the one that came with the network adapter for example).

Seems like there is some kind of interference between XP's built in wireless management tool and the one that came with my netgear product. I am using the XP product only.

And it may be your network setup (e.g. you have selected a bad channel or your computer doesn't like WPA encryption).

It is channel 6, assigned by the software. There is another WiFi network on this channel (the park's WiFi system), however, this signal is weak. I have been able to use either system in the past without problem. I do not use encryption. I have my AP set to allow only my two computers access to my WiFi system

And you might have to update the firmware of the access point.

That's a possibility. I will try this.

Thanks for the input

try changing the AP from ch6 to ch11, if there are neighbors who have routers or APs in the area on the same channel, it could be causing some interference, especially if they are really close(even if their networks are hidden)
Also look for anything in the 2.4GHz range in your home, these devices can cause problems since your AP also uses that frequency.

Since you don't use encryption, be sure to look in the properties of your prefered network settings and make sure that IEEE802.1x is not checked on the authentication tab. This is used for certain encryption types and is useless if not being used and can cause problems. Also look to see if you have AEGIS protocol listed in the protocols of the network connection. It is also used for WPA and can cause problems with some networks.

Might also update those drivers and firmware as Nodsu suggested. I'd especially look at those drivers if you recently updated to XP SP2, as many wireless adapters needed new drivers after SP2 because of issues it created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back