I need a firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_a_newbie

Or do I? I run AVG home edition for my antivirus, along with Adaware and spybot for spyware. I do daily scans and I also occasionally check my HJT logs for anything suspicious.

I leave windows firewall on, and I haven't had a problem with viruses or anything of the like...so far.

Do I need a firewall? Or will I be fine as long as I'm careful? I use Firefox btw.

Windows firewall is crap.

Get a good software firewall programme.

I recommend either the free Zonealarm, or free Kerio firewall programmes.

You can get them Here and HERE.

Regards Howard :)

i_am_a_newbie said:
Or do I? I run AVG home edition for my antivirus, along with Adaware and spybot for spyware. I do daily scans and I also occasionally check my HJT logs for anything suspicious.

I leave windows firewall on, and I haven't had a problem with viruses or anything of the like...so far.

Do I need a firewall? Or will I be fine as long as I'm careful? I use Firefox btw.
there are better firewalls than the windows freebie. a good firewall
controls both in/out bound traffic, and the MS freebie gets a bad rap because it
only controls the inbound traffic. This means you are protected from direct
attack, but if you do get infected (say by some email or ActiveX from your
browser), you could have issues with identity thieft and future email spam.
btw: even a good firewall can be poorly configured and all your effort is in vain:(

i_am_a_newbie said:

If you want to block spyware you can use Peerguardin2 (free)
If you want a intrustion detection software SNORT (free)
If you want a good firewall it's not free buy it works Armor2net

Still need some ad blocking software:

Ad Muncher (not free) been around for years

Really have to do your homework there are tons of software that are free at www.spychecker.com.

YES! are you crazy thinking that you dont need a firewall with a windows PC connnected to the internet. I run Mcafee AV with ZoneAlarm free. Mcafee cst $39.99 per year, but it never bogs down my system, and its got a speedy scan.

...AMD

No idea how this works, but this seemed to fix my annoying LAN problem(installing the firewall, that is).

Before it was installed, when the net dropped for a second or two then went back on, my net would completely stop responding. Like it would only recognize the connection of the cable and give me a private address, a power off + power supply disconnect was my only solution.

Now, when the net dies and comes back on, it functions as normal...

Weird, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back