I need a low-profile PCI video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaft

My mom bought a micro-tower gateway system with onboard video *shudder* and 3 PCI slots (no AGP). I'm looking for a new video card, but it needs to be low-profile so that it'll fit. It needs to be something like this card, complete with the low-profile bracket in the upper-left corner below the cord.

14-150-009-02.JPG

Didn't you already post something about your mom's video setup? Ah yes, here it is. Why not buy that card and worst case scenario you just cut off the metal so that it'll fit in there. :shrug: unless you plan to be throwing the computer from the top of the stairs to the bottom on a daily basis, i see no reason why the video card would just come loose by 'itself.'

I ordered the aforementioned card, since it was the only one I could find with the low-profile bracket. If I got a regular PCI card I wouldn't be able to close the case, since the card would be too tall, so it's not just a case of retention.

Yeah Shaft I'm in the same boat. But in my case I'm looking for an AGP one to replace the TNT2 that NEC gave me.

ss1.

Hi Shaft,

You've peaked my interest: what card is that pictured? I'd say GF2 MX400, but the fan has me thrown. Blue pcb, MSI?

What a bummer the mfg's do this bs to consumers. Lucky you can even get a decent PCI card anymore.

SS1,

I've seen some low profile ATi 8500 AGP card. ASUS, IIRC.

Gigabyte seem to sell some low profile Raedon 7000 AGP cards but no 8500 ones so far. I couldn't find any low profile cards on Asus's website though.

ss1.

I would have gotten something like that, but the bracket is standard sized, so it wouldn't fit. Damn little PC. I got the new card and RAM installed today, and the performance is MUCH better. I was getting ~30fps in half-life and now I'm getting ~140fps. It'll be nice to have something to play on when I'm home on weekends during college and I leave my system there.

I have a hard time understanding why there's so much of a difference between the dimensions of a regular tower and your super thin tower.

There's only a 2" difference (width wise) between your case and a normal case.. You would think they would at least manage to make the expansion bays the correct size.

Considering CD ROMs are 5¼" wide, I'm guessing you have some sort of micro-CD-ROM drive(s) too?

Actually the DVD-ROM and floppy drives are set vertically. They could have made the expansion ports larger, but instead they made them use the low-pro bracket and have an "expansion card retention mechanism" that is essentially a "flap" of metal that screws in using one screw, so you don't actually screw the cards in themselves. I'd never seen anything like it.

Low Profile Video Cards

AGP and PCI 64 and 128 meg Jaton and Chaintech nVidia MX4000, FX5200 and FX5700
AGP ATI 128 and 256 meg 9200 and 9250
all Low Profile or Half height if you will.
Include 3 inch half hieght bracket and also the standard 5 inch bracket if you so desire.

This Forum will not allow URL posting so I can not point you to the correct website. you can IM me AOL jdfitch936

As always just let me now if you have questions

You can also view my profile and signature
to help you find Low Profile cards.
Yahoo Instant Messenger
dozerman936_cat

AOL Instant Messenger
jdfitch936

if you have any questions.

Similar dilema

I kinda know how you feel with the whole low profile problem. I have one of the low-profile Dell boxes and I am trying to find a Video card for AGB that is high performance enough for me to play Half Life 2. If anyone has any input please let me know. I am pretty desperate at the moment.

The Atlantis Radeon 9600SE should do you just fine. We have tested the HL2 Demo on an Athlon XP 2800 With this card which is 128Meg. Our website ships it with the low profile brackets but it does not come from the Manufacture that way.
If you have one of the Dimension 4700C or the like that only have PCI-Express X16 expansion then you will need to look at our listing for the Radeon X300 128MB on board Hyper memory to 256 computercareonline and of course that is a dot com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back