I need a newsgroup server

acidosmosis

The newsgroup server which I am using now (Road Runner), and my last newsgroup server (Bellsouth) only list about 10% of what exists on usenet.

Does anyone know of any better options?

what are you willing to pay for such a server? I've tried all the free ones that I was able to find via google and they are all pretty much junk. I am in the same situation as you, my news server only gives me a small % of the content of each group available on usenet.

I used www.claranews.com which is an english newgroup provider.
It had ok retention of articles, and hosted a huge amount of groups (50k+)...

But what newsserver which would suit you best depends on your use...

Is it to download stuff, discuss or ?
(There are some very good binaries servers, some both and some only discussions)

In that case I'd take a closer look on ClaraNews... It has a lot of alt.binaries.* groups in which you'll find what you're looking for and doesn't cost too much..

There is another service out there, though can't remember it's name. Instead of giving you regular news access, you access their server through the www and is given a choice of what to download.
(Ie. instead of having to download 20 messages to get around 1.5 mb, you just say you want that attachment. It is then added to a .zip and you can download that. Much easier and accessible than regular usenet, since it doesn't requrie a special reader....)

If you do a search you might find it..

Back