i need a sound card

By neild79
Jul 9, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. can anyone tell me a sound card i should go for, my specs are: amd athlon 64 3000+ 2ghz cpu, 256mb ddr pc3200 ram, asrock k8vm800 motherboard. i have good speakers ( harman/kardon soundsticks II ) but my onboard sound doesnt do it justice.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

I still have a PCI soundblaster card that does everything I need. Of course if you want to get fancy, the new soundblasters are expensive.
  3. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

How much can you afford?
    There are sound cards from $9 to more than $100.
  4. neild79

neild79 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 84

i can spend about 50 pounds.
  5. AKirru

AKirru Newcomer, in training Posts: 53

Either pick up a cheap Audigy 2 (that's what I did, great card and I got a ZS one for £21 on eBay) or you could go to the other end of your budget and get an audigy 4 or maybe with a little luck an x-fi music edition.

Audigy 2 is my recommendation though as it's the best bang for buck (or pound ..heh).

Andy
  6. neild79

neild79 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 84

how did you get the little picture of the (busty)anime lady running? its cool
  7. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

HERE is a good card. I think you can afford it (according to google 50 pounds are 92 dollars).
    The problem (for you) is to find it in a good, reliable UK retailer.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.